Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying advice for a camera system

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    [QUOTE=Kayaker72;69557]Newbie808,

You mention waiting for an update to the 28-300L, I just wanted to point out that could be a very long (years and years) wait. My suggestion would be to base your decision on what is currently available. One very good thing about lenses is that they hold ~70-80% of their value. So you should be able to buy what is currently available, use it for awhile and then resell them for a ~20-30% "rental rate" when a new lens that you want is released.

Hi Brant,
    Thanks for the great advice. I'm shooting more travel videos, conventions, camps, and stills and I am leaning toward the new 24-70 coming out in June and the 70-200 2.8L II. I can't believe camera bags and tripods are so expensive. I want a video tripod too with a good fluid head and camera backpack. Any suggestions? Yes Oahu is beautiful (Hawaii 50 and The Amazing Race: Finals) are two great examples. But I'm sure it's beautiful where you live too.
    Mahalo,
    Steve

Steve,

The 5DIII with the 24-70 f/2.8 II and 70-200 f/2.8 II sounds like an amazing kit. For camera bags, I'd look at f-stop, Lowe-pro, Kata and Crumpler. It depends on if you want a back-pack or bag and how much other gear you would like. I own a Lowe-pro fast-pack 350 and like it. Not perfect, but it has worked well and could easily hold the above kit. It isn't weather sealed, as some other bags are, but I have never had an issue and I bought a rain cover for it. Many on the forum have been liking the f-stop ICU system, or Lowe-pro flipside 400 AW for backpacks. My tripod is an old manfrotto, so others on the forum are better qualified to recommend something specific. I am looking at getting a better tripod and the names commonly recommended are Really Right Stuff, Gitzo and Manfrotto.

There have been some recent threads for camera bags/backpacks and tripods. You may want to do a few searches. Another thought is that forum members often list their gear. You can see that list by viewing their profile.

Congrats on all the gear.

Brant

Aloha Camera People,
    I have made the plunge:
    5dMIII
    16-35 L II
    70-200 L II
    preordered the 24-70 L II
    Rode Shotgun Mike Pro SML
    Kata N1-22
    B and W filters
    Speedlite 600
    Simplis Solo Rig
    2x EF Extender III
    Manfrotto 561BHDV-1 Monopod
    RRS plate
    Cinch Camera strap

But I have some reservations on the 2x extender. Should I have gotten the 1.4 extender instead? Also not sure on the RODE Shotgun mic and the Simplis Solo Rig. Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie808 View Post
    Aloha Camera People,
    Also not sure on the RODE Shotgun mic and the Simplis Solo Rig. Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve, Although I still haven't purchased one, I did considerable research a while back on video microphones, The Rode Shotgun mic came up over and over as the one to get----So, If I were to buy one right now, It would still be the Rode.---My guess is you made the right choice.

Bob
    Bob

If you can live with changing two lenses I would have concur with the 24-70mm II and 70-200mm II, that is a dream combo. Skip a few bags and things and get the 16-35mm II and you have it made in camera land! Then you can start building your prime line up.

John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

I have heard good things about the 2x III and 70-200mm L II combination.
    Since you have ordered it, try it out. If it doesn't produce the quality you need send it back. If it does produce, would you even need a 1.4x III, probably not.

With what you have bought you have a very nice set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie808 View Post
    Aloha Camera People,
    I have around $10,000 to spend on camera equipment. I want to shoot stills and video. I currently use a Canon GL1 and a Canon REBEL XT w/
    18-55 3.5-5.6 zoom and a 55-200 4.5-5.6 zoom. I don't own a personal camera and buy on buying a 5Dlll and the 15-35 L 2.8 zoom and the 28-300 L zoom(I can wait for an update on this lens) Any other suggestions. I want to buy a tripod, monopod, a viewfinder, camera bag, lens filters, card reader, camera rig, and a camera mounted mic. I have FCP 7. Any suggestions.
    Mahalo,
    Newbie808

p.s. I already purchased sandisk cards
    My suggestion with Amazon price.
    5D Mark III $3499
    Canon 24-70L $1769, I think you can wait 24-70L II, it will be in stock this year.
    Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 VC for Canon $629, It is very suitable for traveling without swapping lens, an it is not as heavy as Canon 28-300L.
    Canon 16-35L F2.8 II $1574, for wide angle.
    Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS II, $2299, for high quality telephoto zoom.
    Canon 580 EX II $469
    Canon 50mm F1.4 $369 for take photo for person.
    Canon 85mm F1.8 $489 for take photo for person.