Quote Originally Posted by Lost Again

Please hold your laughter at the following questions:

1. What is the infinity focus point?

2. There's some numbers that distance in feet and meters. Feet "1.2 2 3 5 ft" and meters "0.35 0.5 1 3 (a sideways 'L') and then a sideways 8 m" I understand that at different temperatures an infinity focus point (whatever that is) will change, so I have to move the ring around to some other number to compensate for the temperature change. But I don't get: A) If I am shooting a car headlight that is three feet away from me, should I then have the line/pointer on the lens pointing at the three feet mark?

Welcome to the forum.

You need to learn a little bit about depth of field to answer your questions. Efficient use of depth of field can maximize clarity and sharpness of landscape photos.

No need to use the focus markings on your lens, they're too large of differences to be of much use these days. use autofocus if you are tring to focus on one subject, or look through the view finder and focus until things seem clear to you.

check out www.learnslr.com for some extra guidance for a new slr user. post any extra / new questions you have.