Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monitor Hardware Calibration

I use an X-Rite i1 Display 2 to calibrate my17" MacBook Pro and 13" MacBook Air displays - I do find it helpful.

X-Rite i1Display 2

Thanks for your input... I got real excited when I saw B&H is selling it for $109, but I also see on Amazon one of the reviews says it isn't supported on OS X Lion. Are you running Lion? I haven't upgraded yet but imagine that at some point in the not-too-distant future I'll be forced to. Is it really over 10 years old (Amazon says first sold in Oct 2001)? It's funny because I work (indirectly) with an X-Rite system at work all the time, completely unrelated to photography, never knew they were in the photo space, but I guess it makes sense...

I see that DataColor just released the new line of Spyder4's... maybe I'll grab one of those. I guess I'll go with the Pro in case I ever get a 2nd monitor.

Here's a random question: can I use one of these things to get my plasma TV properly calibrated? I've got a 1-2 yr old TV that I'm still watching with the out-of-the-box settings... never noticed enough of an issue to research calibrating it.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyg1027 View Post
    I got real excited when I saw B&H is selling it for $109, but I also see on Amazon one of the reviews says it isn't supported on OS X Lion. Are you running Lion?
    Snow Leopard on my 17" MBP (part laziness, part because I still use some Rosetta-dependent software; note that the current EOS Utility doesn't run under Lion, although a much older version does). Lion on my 13" MBA. I use the i1 Display 2 to calibrate both - X-rite released a special version of their newer software (i1 Profiler, which replaces i1 Match) for Lion users with i1 Display 2: http://www.xrite.com/download/i1D2Lion.

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor View Post
    Just to follow up - I ended up buying the Spyder 3 Express and so far it seems spot on. Got a few printsmade upand the colours and exposureare pretty much perfect between what's on the screen and what prints. It's also very simple to set up and the software is simple.

I must say it's a nice change to have confidence that what I see on screen is going to come out perfectly. It's a nice product and for the price I'd highly recommend it.
    Ben,

Have you been happy with Spyder 3 Express over the long term? I'm currently using an 8-year old monitor and thinking about taking some Christmas gift cards towards an entry level IPS monitor LG IPS235V and am interested in getting its colors, as well as those on my laptop and the wife's laptop calibrated. Given I'm looking at ~ $200 monitors I really don't want to spend much more than $100 on a calibration system and am looking at Spyder 4 Express.

Thanks
    Dave

n/t
    Last edited by Dave Throgmartin; 12-27-2012 at 06:45 PM.