Hi Everybody,

a couple of weeks ago I finally took the time to perform some micro-focus adjustments for my lenses, after all, being able to do an MFA was one reason why I upgraded from the 500D. Here's my thoughts on the subject:

- Every lens required some adjustment, unsurprisingly the 50mm f/1.8 II with +12 the most, the others a lot less, but all in the same direction, perhaps the body is off.

- There is a remarkable improvement, even a +3 or +4 makes a world of difference in AF accuracy with thin DOFs, I am only now really happy with my glass.

- It's a scandal that MFA isn't standard on _every_ DSLR (hello, I'm looking at _you_ 60D), how many millions of people shoot unnecessarily crappy images with their Rebels just because the AF is bad?

- The procedure is relatively easy, at least I made it so, just printed out some detailled pattern, hung it on the wall, and played a bit with magnified live view.

- That said, I don't understand why the camera can't do it automatically, once it's set up with an appropriate target, using the normal contrast-detect method to check the real AF, that's exactly the same thing that I did "manually".

(I'll check the Canon SDK to see whether I can programmatically set the MFA, and force a focus-to-infinity, the rest shouldn't be that hard.)

Regards, Colin

PS: Nice to have the forum back up-and-running, the nightly server problems were translating to "forum offline in the afternoon" for me; I've also been busy with many other things...