Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Legal Right to Photograph a Public Event

Re: Legal Right to Photograph a Public Event

sounds pretty crazy to me! I've never had or seen that problem.

He was probably annoyed that yours was bigger, haha.

Lets just ask this, would they have said anything if you had just a point and shoot camera??

Quote Originally Posted by Maleko
    Lets just ask this, would they have said anything if you had just a point and shoot camera??

Of course not, it's purely one of those.. wow look at his camera.

Heck I took my 70-200 out the other night and our security at the Condo said.. "NICE CAMERA" meanwhile I've taken my NiftyFifty out a few times and never got that compliment

But little did he know, I'm like.. it's a nice lens, the camera needs to be upgraded!!! [H]

Geoff,

I think I read some of those before. Couldn't make it all the way through before my eyes started to feel heavyyy. haha. Good links though.

-Rodger

Is there a contract/agreement for your daughter to play soccer in this league/team? Is there a fee for her to play in the league/team? If so, I'd read that contract carefully, AND make it a point to add a clause to future contracts granting you the right to shoot photographs of your daughter and her teammates non-commercially. I'd point out that your daughter is paying to play, and therefore the league can't seize photographic rights without compensation in return. And/or, tell the organizer that the professional photographer doesn't have a model release for your daughter (or the rest of the team)...

We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

Is there a contract/agreement for your daughter to play soccer in this league/team? Is there a fee for her to play in the league/team? If so, I'd read that contract carefully, AND make it a point to add a clause to future contracts granting you the right to shoot photographs of your daughter and her teammates non-commercially. I'd point out that your daughter is paying to play, and therefore the league can't seize photographic rights without compensation in return. And/or, tell the organizer that the professional photographer doesn't have a model release for your daughter (or the rest of the team)...

<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

My daughter has acontract with her select team and then the team signs up for the various tournaments.It doesn't look like the team signs any sort of contract with the associations organizing the tournament. Basically, they send in a check and get a confirmation e-mail confirming entry.

The more I research the issue, the more I'm convinced they had no basis for granting exclusive rights to any photographer to shoot what amounts to a public event.

Quote Originally Posted by jusap

I agree with Keith, not unless you signed anything stating that you can't take pictures during the game, then they can't stop you. Also taking to consideration the location. It's a public place. If you're in a covered area or within some school vicinity then they might have the upper hand on this. I'm not sure on these as these are just my opinion.

I never have problems at schools. I have an ASA background check card and a press pass from the local school district that seems to eliminate any issues with high school sports.

This is funnier than you can imagine. Only this forum will truly appreciate this reply. There was another very serious photographer roaming the sidelines near me with two Nikon D3x bodies. One was sporting a 70-200mm f/2.8 and the other had a 200-400mm f/4.0 on it, but of course, those lenses are black. The picture nazi's never even spoke to him. Apparently, white lens equals professional while black lens makes you an amatuer.

Maybe they just knew all pros shoot Canon...

This is funnier than you can imagine. Only this forum will truly appreciate this reply. There was another very serious photographer roaming the sidelines near me with two Nikon D3x bodies. One was sporting a 70-200mm f/2.8 and the other had a 200-400mm f/4.0 on it, but of course, those lenses are black. The picture nazi's never even spoke to him. Apparently, white lens equals professional while black lens makes you an amatuer.

Maybe they just knew all pros shoot Canon...

right... my daughter plays club softball so the way it works is the hired photog has access on the field for the best possible shots. Parents shoot from anywhere off the field.

In your soccer case, they could restrict the field to some setback but once they get to the point where the rest of the parents are, all bets should be off.

I shot the High school varsity 5A-I State finals here in AZ which my daughter is on the team... every photog on the field had a press pass or an orange vest showing credentials to be on the field (except me and my partner

My gentlemens handshake with the school coach was any sales I made off of shooting these events, I'd donate back 25% to the school so when I was called out byone of the officials, my response was" I was hired by the coach to document the event"...both me and my partner were left alone after that.

I had a somewhat similar experience at the NCAA Wrestling nationals last spring. I had been shooting from the stands (I was spectating and just playing with the camera) for two days during the preliminaries. No one looked at me twice, even though I was shooting with a 30D and a 70-200 f/4. However, on the last day during the morning session I had at least three security guards checking me out. The last one pulled me out of my seat, called the head of security to come check out my equipment. The security head basically laughed and let me go.

I can't prove it, but I am pretty sure the pros down on the mat were looking up in the stands and complaining to security ;-) I took it as a compliment.

David