Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Poor Man's short list (help me find the non-Canon gems)!

Re: A Poor Man's short list (help me find the non-Canon gems)!

I am curious about the Sigma 50mm 1.4 which I haven

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

I am curious about the Sigma 50mm 1.4 which I haven't gotten a chance yet to look closely at.

I replaced my Canon EF 50/1.4 with the Sigma 50/1.4 because of bokeh, flare, distortion, andvignetting. I like it a lot better, even though itfeels like the Sigma autofocus is a lot slower and less accurate. I got mine used for $350. I'd really prefer the EF 50/1.2, of course.

If you
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

I would second the recommendation for Samyang. I

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie

I've ordered an AF/EMF chip off ebay to go with it, so at least i can get some exif data on it.

Could someone provide a link for me as to what this is? I'm clueless, I mean is it something you put on every non-canon mountable lens? Are they expensive or do they go up in price depending on size?

Basically, the way the canon AF system works, is that the camera measures whether the image is in focus or not.

If not, it tells the lens to move forward or back, then the camera measures again.

Once the camera says the image is perfectly focussed, it tells the lens to stop moving its motor.

Then the camera says to the lens 'ok, i'm in focus', and the lens says 'ok' back to the camera, then the camera lights up the red square and/or beeps.

Totally stupid way of doing things, because it's the camera that detects whether it's in focus, but if you don't have an EF lens with proper contacts, then the camera knows it's in focus but won't tell you with the red square or beep.

So the AF chips you get off ebay (down to $3, up to $30 or so) just pretend to be a lens so the camera tells you that it's in focus with the red square or beep. If you buy an M42 / Nikon / PentaxK / Exacta / Pentacon6 / OlympusOM / whatever adapter to use Manual Focus lenses on your Canon, you can buy them with a chip (or put one on yourself).

With the exif, when the camera writes the image file, it asks the lens what model, focal length, aperture, distance to subject, whatever to write in the EXIF data.

Cheap AF chips fix the data to 50mm f/1.4 or something. The one i've bought is a $23 la-di-dah version, programmable 1-65500mm and f/1.0-64 or something. Still not sure if i can program the lens model name in (don't think so), but it's a start.

Other bonuses of the more expensive one is that apparently E-TTL works, as does 'focus trap' (ie, hold shutter button, turn ring and/or wait for object to move into focus, then it'll snap the shutter when it is).

The one I got is from some guy in Lithuania, claims to have invented them or something, the cheaper ones from China are ripoffs or earlier versions. Whether that's true I don't care, but i've just got one to see how it goes, i might consier others for my M42, P6, and lensbaby later on...

oh yeah, and here's the one i bought: www.ebay.com.au/.../270664939720
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Not much to add other than my FD 35mm f/2.0 is my favorite prime on 1.6 in terms of focal length and the IQ is quite good. I think I slightly prefer the 35mm focal length to 30mm, but I