Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon 10-22 vs Sigma 10-20

Re: Canon 10-22 vs Sigma 10-20

I've got hundreds and hundreds as I used this lens all the time. I've got one 500 gig hard drives and two 250 gig hard drives where I will have to find a few of the specific images where I will post them on my site and provide you the direct links. Just give me a little bit of time and I post them here. Thanks for your interest!

-Bryan

Here are some quick sample images shot with my Sigma 10-20mm lens. These where shot handheld in a dark interior designer show house where they came out pretty good for shutter speeds of 1/15 and 1/30 of a second. The web adress where you can see them is: http://www.freelanceshots.com/Sigma_lens.html

-Bryan

I tried the 2 together. The Sigma didn't actually go down to 10mm. The Canon beats it every time but then again its quite a bit in front on cash as well. I use mine for 360 degree pans with a pano-maxx head. Its not often I get a bad stitch. One review described it a L series without the label.

I used the Canon 10-22 for my latest self-portrait. I tried to make it look like a movie advertisement. Image was cropped to a 2.39:1 ratio to mimic an anamorphic widescreen movie frame.

Sean, the word which comes to my mind is: brilliant!

Definitely looks like a movie and I'm definitely going to this movie! []

That's one sweet shot Sean. Did you use strobes outside your windows?

I'd love to get my hands on a canon 10-22, but as it is, I can't justify spending double the cost. I'm picking up the Sigma 10-20 from freelanceshots as mentioned earlier in this thread. I hope it performs almost as well as the Canon.

Yes, I used strobes outside every window. That image is actually done from two exposures. I set up a strobe outside the three windows in the living room, reviewed the results on the LCD, liked the results, then packed everything up before looking at them on my netbook. I loved the shot, however, the kitchen area through the doorway was completely dark and somewhat distracting. It just looked like a hole in the image. So, I tried to set up my tripod and camera in the same exact place, and I set up an additional strobe firing through the window in the kitchen. It was a huge coincidence, but I ended up setting up the camera in the same exact place and didn't have to move it at all. I thought it was going to take me 20 minutes to adjust everything to make it just right, but I didn't--it just fell right into place. In the end, I just laid the final strobed shot on top of the original shot and used a "Lighten" blend mode.

I absolutely love my Canon 10-22mm. Its a little more costly but, I don't think I've seen a bad pic from it yet. Except when the wife tried to use it and didn't know it was in manual focus hehehe !!![img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.33.12/IMG_5F00_6185-_2800_2_2900_-800-pix.jpg[/img]

I think that you'll find there's a major difference in distortion, which would strongly affect architectural shots. The Canon is much better than the older Sigma--don't know about the new f/3.5 Sigma lens. The ultimate would be a tilt-shift lens, but they are fixed focal length and quite expensive.

Pano shots (put the camera in portrait mode) can be good, but they often don't look realistic to viewers. Normally, our brains compensate for perspective, but, like the "big-nose" shots of people taken too close, a flat image doesn't have the depth or angular clues that let our brains warp the image into what looks "natural." Pano shots of interiors (as opposed to wide-open landscapes) often look curved to people--and I'm not talking about barrel distortion. Talk to an artist. She can tell you that she will actually alter the perspective of a painting so that it looks "natural."

George Slusher
    Lt Col, USAF (Ret)
    Eugene, OR

Having JUST gotten a 10-22 (last friday) and spending most of the weekend shooting, I can say I LOVE this lens! Unfortunately, I can't say that about the photographer's ability to compose a shot! [:$] This lens is great, but, it's showing me just how bad a photographer I am! [] Can't say about the Sigma (last sigma I used was for an A1! Worked quite well, but.... a LOOONG time ago!).