Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice for newbie

Re: Advice for newbie

Take it easy peety [] I said "bunch of lenses, flashes and tripods" and was referring to ALL the equipment you and Daniel suggested (and more specifically to Daniel's suggestion as he suggested many stuff there). Anyhow, even 2 lenses (no flash at all) might be too much for someone who is still figuring out what the aperture does and maybe even what the shutter speed does to the picture - and again I don't know what's the original poster's knowledge level but there are many people who don't know all this stuff just yet. After all, we all were there - non of us were born already knowing what's an "f-number" right? [:P]

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

Anyhow, even 2 lenses (no flash at all) might be too much for someone who is still figuring out what the aperture does and maybe even what the shutter speed does to the picture.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

OK, so if the OP goes with a kit lens, will they really learn what thin DOF means? Not really, as Daniel directly pointed out.

I think anyone buying a DSLR should pick up a 50/1.8 or 50/1.4, to at least learn what their camera can do. The three spouses who have heard my suggestion and given the 50/1.8 as a gift have all been well "rewarded" (and enjoy the lens too!).

I have an acquaintance who has a 5D Mark II and a 50/1.4. She has a successful portrait business, and I really like her work. She understands DOF very well, because the only lens she owns is the 50/1.4 (imagine a camera worth ~7x the lens collection!).
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I think there's a good point in too much, too soon.

I think Daniel's list is very good for a starting photographer, but I'd suggest starting off with simply the...[*]$720 T1i body (excellent 15 MP sensor)[*]$130 18-55 IS kit lens (buy it in a kit with camera) [*]$250 55-250 IS

You'll come in under budget, but you can certainly fill that out quickly down the road, and apply it towards things you actually want, once you know how to use what you've already got, and as such, why you want the new stuff.

A 7D with a 28-135 combination, particularly as an only lens, seems a little weird. I'm one to talk. I started with a Rebel XT and a 28-135. I was happy with it, for awhile, until.... I really understood what else I could do with other options. Wide angle was the first, most obvious short-coming.

As if you do not have enough suggestions already, here is another.
    • Canon EOS Rebel T1i Digital SLR Camera (Camera Body)
    • Canon Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens
    • Tamron Zoom Super Wide Angle SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD
    • Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM(Byan says: "I prefer the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens over the 55-250")

Total cost: $1,828. Possibly enough left for a tripod. Ask Santa for Speedlite 430EX II.

Mark
    Mark

peety, although that I still don't have a fast lens like the 50 f/1.4 I know what DOF means. Actually, I knew what DOF is even before I got my first SLR - simply by reading reviews on this great site.

Lots of good suggestions from the folks above. I get to help outfit new photographers all the time as my daughter is photoeditor for a school yearbook / newspaper and each time the new class arrives everyone is excited to go get equipment.

I would advise you not to overlook used and refurbished quipment. I justhelped a new photogrpaher find a Canon 20D($300 used with 3 extra batteries) plusthree lenses<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;"] EF 28-90mm($89.95 refurbished),EF-S <span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;"]18-55mm($119.95 refurbished) and<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;"] EF 75-300mm ($134.95 refurbished).

<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;"]The storewhere we found the camera body had two used Canon 30D's for under $500 and one did not look like it had ever been out of the box. I also have had good luck finding used "L" glass recently as newspapers have been cutting photography staff in my area at an alarming rate.

<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;"]When you have a better feel for what you need, you can upgrade to "L" series glass, but you can get some preety inexpensive stuff off the used rack in the interim.
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;"]<o></o>

Quote Originally Posted by cmac76

My wife and I are looking to get into photography as aSERIOUS hobby. I have been doing some research on SLRs, and, for about a $2000 budget I found the Canon EOS 7D packaged with the 28-125mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens for $1899.

Would this be a good place to START? We want to take all kinds of photographs and maybe find a niche along the way.

If you and your wife have decided to spend some quality time in photography, the 7D would be an excellent choice for a body. It looks like it will have a great AF system, built in flash controller, all the whistles and bells for video work, all the frames per second you will ever need, and a lot of other great pro features. You go for this body, you will have a rugged body that will last you a LONG time and give you all the features you need as you grow into the hobby.

The 28-125 lens would be an okay lens to start with and as mentioned by others above, it leaves a lot to be desired in the wide end for landscape work and it isn't long enough to do wildlife stuff BUT, it does have the range to give you good performance to START.

As you grow into your hobby, I am sure that you will want other lenses to expand your areas of creativity. That's when you may put some money into some quality "L" lenses in the wider range and longer end.

I am just concerned that if you buy a T1i, you may out grow that body too quickly if you and your wife are really serious about photography. I know I did when I got my Rebel.

Chris your request begs some questions from me.....what makes you and your wife think you'll become serious photography hobbyists?

Do either of you have previous photography experience?

Do you understand some/all of the terms used in the replies?

I have to assume no after reading your generic "all kinds of photographs" statement and that neither of you have previous photography experience.

My point, if my assumption is correct, is that you don't need to start your quest with such sophisticated (expensive) equipment nor all the accessories, i.e. why jump into the deep end of the pool to learn how to swim? This strategy puts you at risk of becoming overwhelmed by the equipment and becoming disinterested w/the hobby resulting in you putting your expensive equipment on the shelf to collect dust.

How many of you started your photographic passion in this manner? I don't imagine too many....another assumption on my part is that most of you started off as myself; the passion was developed, you out grew your equipment and then you started spending your money on more sophisticated equipment and accessories.

My advice Chris; hold off on spending all your budget and invest in a simpler camera that has similar options to a DSLR, e.g. Canon SX20IS, G10 and purchase info books on photography. Learn the camera, WB, EV, ISO, F stops, composition, lighting, etc., develop the interest you have now to the next level.

The benefits to my suggestions Chris; you and your wife will know after a few months of learning this simpler equipment and what makes a good photo if you have the passion to make a more expensive investment, to do more learning and if not; you'll have saved yourselves 1500 bucks and have a nice little camera you can leave on the green box for nice snapshots.

BTW....if my assumption is wrong (mea culpa); less expensive body (Rebel or 50D) and better glass (prime and zoom), though I would still hold off on the accessories until after becoming totally familiar w/the camera, natural light situations and you have decided what type of photography you want to do.

Good luck

Thanks everyone for all of the advice......I knew that what I was asking was very vague and I appreciate the time you took to post your replies.

It looks like the overwhelming consensus would be to purchase a less expensive body to free up some $$$ for a better lens....so that is what I think I might do. Sooooo.............I am actually scared to ask this question for fear of being too vague again,but I will ask anyway......

If I were to buy only one lensto start out(to be a default type lens), what would you suggest? Thanks in advance!!

Let the bashing begin :-)

Thanks,

Chris

I'd go 50D plus the 24-105 4.0L IS. TheCanon EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS is a good option too, but I prefer the 24-105 and then ad the relatively inexpensive 10-22 EF-S later for wide stuff.