Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lens for EOS 40D

Re: Lens for EOS 40D

i will recommend u go to canon L lens... for my story is: i bought 40D with17-85mm IS kits lens, then bought canon18-200mm IS lens n sold my 17-85mm... then upgrade to canon 24-105LIS lens within a month... now i only keep my 18-200mm IS just for spare...

Dont waste your money mate. If u really want a good lens n good pic... go for the top lens!

I, too, suggest the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 for control of DOF and usability in low light.

Quote Originally Posted by djdalibor

How will Canon work in low light with Canon 430EX Flash?

It will work as stated: it's an f/4-5.6 lens, and the 40D is an ISO 1600 camera (at best). The flash is a guide number 43m flash, so it can illuminate a scene of up to 43m away at ISO 100 and f/1. If my math and memory are correct, that's essentially equivalent to ISO 1600 and f/4, but assumes the flash is zoomed to the full telephoto position (105mm). Therefore, at the long end of the lens and the flash zoomed to 105mm (i.e. not covering the whole scene), you can light a subject 21m away, about once every four seconds. That's at max power and max aperture - you may want f/8 for better optical performance, cutting your max distance in half, and/or you may want lower ISO for less noise, again cutting your max distance in half.

I wouldn't want to be living on the edge like this. You'll need to keep a close eye on the flash confirmation light, and you'll spend a lot of time trying to choose the lowest ISO that gets the shot.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.