Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 580EX II Speedlight Problem - Advice Needed Please!

With the symptoms you describe, I'd suspect a leaking capacitor in the firing/charging circuit or a failing FET in the path between the cap and the flash tube. If you know anyone who does electronics work you may get lucky and find that the part can be replaced relatively cheaply provided an off-the-shelf replacement can be found.

Alternate flashes to use as masters include Metz 58 and one of the 430's. I have more Metz than 580 EXii's due to price difference and increased capabilities of the Metz units. My son has a 430 and it works fine as a master for all of my flashes.

Thanks for the info jrw but it looks like I'm going to be checking out the various flashes and buy another eventually since I don't have any idea how to repair it or know anyone that can. What a shame though since it looks virtually new!

If any long standing members here would like to take a look at it, just send me a PM ...I would gladly mail it and pay for any inexpensive parts it may need & return shipping. I hate to throw it away ...tears !

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    I hate to throw it away ...tears !
    Before going to such drastic measures, give Canon Customer Service a call. They'll advise you to send it in, and then they'll send you an estimate. It may be expensive, it may be reasonable--but you'll never know for sure until you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Before going to such drastic measures, give Canon Customer Service a call. They'll advise you to send it in, and then they'll send you an estimate. It may be expensive, it may be reasonable--but you'll never know for sure until you do it.
    I am putting it on my "to do" list for tomorrow. I will let you guys know what they say.

Don't you have CPN membership Denise? Or someone else nearby? That might help a bit with the cost.

Nope but now I wish I did get it when I was thinking about doing so a ways back!

Too bad, good luck anyways!

I received a response to my email I sent Canon within 2 hours which was nice. They said they cannot give me an estimate until I mail it to them and they take a look at it. He did suggest that it could be a communication problem or a problem with the internal circuit board.

He also said and I quote ...

"For factory service, please forward your flash to one of the Factory Service Centers shown below. When shipping your flash, please be sure to remove the memory card and batteries."

I hope this isn't the same person that does the repairs unless their is a memory card in my flash that I don't know about!!