Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Extender III Review

Re: Extender III Review

Based on the 200/2L IS results, I will hypothesize that one will still see improvements with the 2x III over the 2x II on the 500/4L IS, but it won

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    And since the IS II super-tele's aren't even on the market yet, it doesn't look like this is going to make much of a diffrence.

I don't know, maybe you are right. the following is what I read from canon too.

"As with previous EF Extenders, usage of Series III EF Extenders lowers
    AF drive speed to improve AF performance. When Extender EF 1.4X III is
    used, AF drive speed is reduced by 50%. When Extender EF 2X III is used,
    AF drive speed is reduced by 75%. This may seem like a drawback, but in
    reality subject tracking performance remains quite high when Series III
    Extenders are used with IS II lenses. This is due to improvements in AF
    precision made possible by the new microcomputer in the extenders."

I found when I used my 300mm 2.8+1.4XTC, I could track and lock the focus when taking pictures of slower flying bird like egret, GBH... but pretty hard to track turns in flight, so I was wondering if the new lenses + TC will improve that. optical performance shouldn't be a problem since the new lenses will have noticeable improvement in sharpness, contrast ...., that's why people will pay thousands of $$ more for that. if you can pay for the new lens and 1D body, adding $500 for TC is nothing even it will not work that great. for me, the hardest part is paying $4000+ for the body.....

anyway, let's see how the microcomputer works.

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints
    I don't know what charts some of you have been looking at, but the EF Extender 2x III to me is very clearly superior to the 2x II.

Thats exactally what I thought, the contrast definately better, the CA is almost gone and distortion is reduced. The differance is not huge but definately superior.

John.

Could someone post a link to these reviews. For some reason I cant find them.

Thanks,

Brett
    Brett

Never mind. Found them.
    Brett

I know Arthur Morris is a contract Canon photographer (Explorers of Light) but he seems pretty stoked about the new 2X converter and the version II 70-200mm lens....he

thanks for the links Joel

I have to point it out is that if you have ever been to La Jolla, CA, you know that cliff where people taking pictures of pelican is a very small area, so IMO a 300mm lens is more than long enough to take almost all kinds of pictures over there.my experience of using 300mm2.8+2.0TC II combo with 7D is that when the object is close enough, you will get very good results then when the object is far, it's hard to get good results. it is also hard to track fast moving object like turns in flight. so if you think you can use 70-200mm2.8II+2.0TC as your main weapon to shoot birds, think it again, egrets GBHs or ducks usually are hard to get that close like these pelicans.I think choosing pelicans in La Jolla for testing 70-200mm2.8II+2XTCII is very "smart".

close object(slightly copped)

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/5165.DPP_5F00_00012.JPG[/img]

far object(cropped)

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/5751.DPP_5F00_00002.JPG[/img]

both taken with tripod.

but then Arthur Morris can take a lot better pictures, so it's just my 2 cents

JJphoto,

I was in LaJolla once several years ago but at the time was I more interested in golf than photography!!

Anyway, I was merely pointing out that the Version III 2X TC is quite capable of making sharp images, at least with new 70-200 2.8L lens in the hands of a recognized expert. I

Off of Canon's website (and Amazon)...

1.4x II

"This tele extender can be used with fixed focal length lenses 135mm and longer (except the 135mm f/2.8 Softfocus lens), and the EF 70-200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 70-200 f/4.0L, 70-200 f/4.0L IS USM, and 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS zoom lenses."

1.4x III

"Note: This lens is only compatible with fixed focal length L-series lenses 135mm and over, as well as the EF 70-200/2.8L, EF 70-200/2.8L IS, EF 70-200/4L, and EF 100-400/4.5-5.6L."

What's wrong with this picture? Error on Canon's part?

Denise

I have noticed on other items. When you went to check compatibility on Canon