Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone peeved about the MAP (Massive Arbitrary Punitive) pricing?

Hint: It would be worth getting a 5D Mark III price from Jacob at Adorama:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...aspx?News=2812

Was chatting with the owner of a local brick-and-mortar camera store yesterday. He mentioned that in addition to Canon's new MAP policy, they also cut margins (i.e., raised wholesale prices), adding back via 'discounts' for volume and for pre-payment. He said that was pretty much the last straw for him. In fact, that was what brought me in. He's liquidating much of his photo gear and shutting down his print lab, leaving just the broadcast side of his business - essentially B2B with no effort on the consumer end. He said he'll still sell Canon, but just broadcast video-oriented dSLR gear (5DIII and up, fast lenses), and he's not expecting a significant profit from Canon sales.

Good for him personally, he said - M-F 9-5 only, closed on Black Friday, etc. But one less local shop in the business. Rather sad...

I am in the health care biz and we are going through a massive "dis-inter-mediation" cycle from insurance companies, brokers, consumers, drug companies, etc. Everyone is angling to build brand loyalty directly w/ the consumer - notice United Health & Cigna advertising is now consumer focused vs. business focused - drug companies have been doing it for awhile.

My point to this is the role of the brick & mortar store is in jeopardy similar to BestBuy, people come in and "show room" and then order online w/ their smart phone while still standing there in front of the display at BestBuy. Years ago I worked in a high end camera store - there was no internet alternative, competition was all local - not global - we were always pissed when the guy 30 miles away would discount a camera $50.

Technology seems to always squeeze the middle - I can certainly imagine a future where 90+% of purchases are "factory direct" with some sort of 30 day return policy. Not what you want just ship it back - way cheaper than supporting a distribution/dealer network. We will all get good at returning stuff to the factory.

To some extent TDP is on the cutting edge - expert reviews that narrow down/prioritize the "buy,try, return" cycle. I did this recently w/ a variable ND filter.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Was chatting with the owner of a local brick-and-mortar camera store yesterday. He mentioned that in addition to Canon's new MAP policy, they also cut margins (i.e., raised wholesale prices), adding back via 'discounts' for volume and for pre-payment. He said that was pretty much the last straw for him. In fact, that was what brought me in. He's liquidating much of his photo gear and shutting down his print lab, leaving just the broadcast side of his business - essentially B2B with no effort on the consumer end. He said he'll still sell Canon, but just broadcast video-oriented dSLR gear (5DIII and up, fast lenses), and he's not expecting a significant profit from Canon sales.

Good for him personally, he said - M-F 9-5 only, closed on Black Friday, etc. But one less local shop in the business. Rather sad...
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911