Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Infinity focus & extension tubes

Re: Infinity focus & extension tubes

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

@mmodica - Welcome to the TDP Forums! Nice to see another 'local' (I'm in the Boston area).

To continue the threadjack a bit:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie
    your mileage may vary, anyone got an 800mm

No, but on an outing a couple of months ago (with Bill W.), I tried a 2x II Extender with my 100-400mm. It was a staring contest between a great horned owlet and a grackle. The owlet won, eventually (after a few dive-bombs by the aggressive grackle).

Focusing at 1280mm FF-equivalent (800mm on the 7D) was tough, even on a tripod with IS turned on (and with no IS, it would have been very, very tough!). I think the results of the 800mm combo turned out better than the equivalent shot at 400mm (from the same position) with the FoV cropped to match the 800mm shot:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-35-15/100_2D00_400_2B00_2x.jpg[/img]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

John

Thats a really cool shot. Did the 500mm get bumped up a notch or two on your wish list after that one?

Rick

Re: Infinity focus & extension tubes

Interesting stuff guys, thanks for sharing (and for the welcome)!
    Digital.. Canon EOS 40D | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4​L​ USM | Canon SpeedLite 580EX II
    Film..... Canon EOS 650 | Canon EF 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon SpeedLite 430EX II