Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next Portrait Lens: 85L or 70-200 2.8 IS II?

Re: Next Portrait Lens: 85L or 70-200 2.8 IS II?

Keep in mind, that professional models are used to having a camera in their face. Regular people, not so much.

Rich

I usually am at least 6 feet away with the 85. If that is in the face then I digress.

Hi Keith,

I absolutely agree, but he want's to use it on a FF 5DII. I happen to use the 85L f/1.2 on a 7D crop body and I agree that it's perfect on a crop body.

I like your quote and I never thought of it that way. I've always realized that the longer focal lengths, compresses facial features and slims bodies, essentially causing a slimming effect, which most families like. However.., I never really gave it much thought that the opposite effect also applies, b<span style="font-size: 11.6667px;"]ut it certainly makes sense, and yet I'm well aware that too short a focal length and too close distorts body parts.

Let me also add, that I don't do posed portraits, but I do love my candids.

<span style="font-size: 11.6667px;"]Rich

Hey Rich

I made my comment because to some 6ft might be kind of close.

In the last few months I have become a really big fan of 85 focal length. I try to use it for everything. I sold my 70-200 2.8 IS to fund the 85L. I found that 90% of my shots with the 70-200 were between 85 and 135 and when I had a 7D I figured I had that range covered but I recently sold the 7D and got a 1DsII. So now really want a 135L for tightly cropped head shots.

Your 24-70mm L should make fantastic portraits. It sounds like you just started using the camera and are probably only using it to a tiny feaction of its capability. A new lens will probly not improve your images, you need to master lighting and composition.

Alan

Keith, you sold your 7D??? What do you do for your airshows now? Don't tell me you're back to your 40D.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

<span style="font-size: 11.6667px;"]Want to see the magic of the 85L walk into Victoria Secrets or open up their catalog. The photographer, Russell James, uses the 85L almost exclusively.

<span style="font-size: small;"]Hey, if I were shooting Victoria Secret Models, I would want to be closer too! [:P]

Rich

Personally, my favorite portrait focal length on the 5D2 is 135mm, and the 135mm f/2 is a particularly beautiful lens; one of Canon's best ever. The bokeh is just gorgeous and it's quite sharp. That said, with my budget the lens I ended up with is the 70-200 f/4 L IS. It can't really hit a thin DOF, but at 200mm the background blur can be quite nice. I like the bokeh too, but not nearly as much as the 135.

Another lens you might consider for environmental portraits is the 50mm f/1.2. The bokeh is buttery smooth, and it turns out shots that just make you go "wow". If you're looking to stand out, the 50mm f/1.2 will definitely do it -- very few people can (or would) shoot portraits that way, so it's very unique. I do three quarter shots with that, but I wouldn't get any closer than that. Definitely wouldn't help you with your long lens problem. []

I think that 85L is too close to your 24-70, and that you can achieve the same composition with your exhisting lens. I guess that your objective is to have a good lens for headshot; on a full frame I would prefer the 135L for Models and studio shot, or the 70-200 2.8 IS II for street, spontaneus portrait, weddings, action.

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by Alan

Keith, you sold your 7D??? What do you do for your airshows now? Don't tell me you're back to your 40D.

Hi Alan

I did sell the 7D. I picked up a used 1Ds MkII instead (couldn't afford the mkIII). I just feel more comfortable shooting FF. Air shows is where I'm sure I'll miss the 7D's crop factor but AF was the most important factor and the 1Ds' is more than capable.
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

<span style="font-size:11.6667px;"]Want to see the magic of the 85L walk into Victoria Secrets or open up their catalog. The photographer, Russell James, uses the 85L almost exclusively.

<span style="font-size:small;"]Hey, if I were shooting Victoria Secret Models, I would want to be closer too![img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

Rich

No joke there!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

Another lens you might consider for environmental portraits is the 50mm f/1.2. The bokeh is buttery smooth, and it turns out shots that just make you go "wow". If you're looking to stand out, the 50mm f/1.2 will definitely do it -- very few people can (or would) shoot portraits that way, so it's very unique. I do three quarter shots with that, but I wouldn't get any closer than that. Definitely wouldn't help you with your long lens problem. [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

Nice to see someone else tout the 50 1.2. I love my 50 1.2. It is the lens I use 80% of the time. I'll go for the 85L first if I have the room but I don't feel like I'm making any concessions with the 50.