Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: POCKET WIZARD PLUS II OR MiniTT1 and FlexTT5

Re: POCKET WIZARD PLUS II OR MiniTT1 and FlexTT5

Mark,

The component to control flashes from your camera with the JrX has yet to be released (I believe as I stopped checking a while ago). It's apparently a "cube" that goes below the flash unit that plugs into the JrX. Great, another item to take up space in my already full bag.I have a couple of the JrX receivers and one of the transmitters. They are plenty handy in manual mode, have plenty of reach but I find myself wanting to get the MiniTT1 and Flex TT1. Simplicity and more control.

Quote Originally Posted by Graydon
    Mark,

The component to control flashes from your camera with the JrX has yet to be released (I believe as I stopped checking a while ago). It's apparently a "cube" that goes below the flash unit that plugs into the JrX.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>
    Ha! So did I...ok so maybe I look once a month or so :-) Amazingly the 1st time I emailed them to try to get a better answer than what the website posted (6-8 weeks) I was told 6-8 weeks! About 9 weeks later I sent a follow up email and was told again 6-8 weeks. I'm done with email. Aparently this is par for the course for RadioPoppers. They really should consider holding back on making esitmates if the never seem to follow through. Luckily I'm in no hurry. I'm currently doing just fine with my CTR-301Ps. I'm just lazy and hate walking over to my flashes when I want to change my settings [:P]

<span style="color: #0000ff;"]peety3

One more question:

Do you know (or have you heard) if the range and/or reliability of the Flex system increases when using manual mode as opposed to E-TTL?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

Do you know (or have you heard) if the range and/or reliability of the Flex system increases when using manual mode as opposed to E-TTL?
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Yes, it's theoretically a 50% increase. From http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-9884-9903:

"<span class="data"]The official range of the MiniTT1 transmitter, when
    sending to Plus II and MultiMAX receivers and therefore using Standard
    channels only, is about 1200ft (about 365m). When transmitting to a
    FlexTT5 in a wireless TTL configuration, which means ControlTL channels
    and Standard channels are being used (in this mode, the MiniTT1 sends
    both ControlTL and Standard signals), the range is about 800ft (about
    240m)."

That said, I had a few trigger misses the other night on a family portrait shoot, in a room that's about 11'x24'. Four flashes in use, all manually set: a key light (580II, with CP-E4 battery and PW AC5 soft shield), a fill light (580II, with CP-E4 battery and PW AC5 soft shield), a low background light (580II), and a high background light (580II, with PW AC5 soft shield). Interestingly, now that I think about it, it was the high background light that seemed to miss the most often. For the sake of mention, neither background flash had a CP-E4 to speed the recharge, and two cameras were in action for much of the night, so a variety of factors could have led the flashes to be not ready to fire.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3
    That said, I had a few trigger misses the other night on a family portrait shoot, in a room that's about 11'x24'. Four flashes in use, all manually set: a key light (580II, with CP-E4 battery and PW AC5 soft shield), a fill light (580II, with CP-E4 battery and PW AC5 soft shield), a low background light (580II), and a high background light (580II, with PW AC5 soft shield). Interestingly, now that I think about it, it was the high background light that seemed to miss the most often. For the sake of mention, neither background flash had a CP-E4 to speed the recharge, and two cameras were in action for much of the night, so a variety of factors could have led the flashes to be not ready to fire.
    In this scenario I would certainly hope that it was the flash's inability to fire due to recharging time rather than the Flex system failing.Under the circumstancesyou described I would expect an ST-E2 to perform fairly well.

<span style="font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]Below is an exchange between PocketWizard and myself:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson
    Will the FlexTT5-Canon allow a Canon flash to go to sleep (Power Save Mode) and then wake it up when the shutter button is pressed half-way?
    Quote Originally Posted by [email="customer.support@pocketwizard.com
    <span style="font-size: small;"]customer.support@pocketwizard.com[/email]<span style="font-size: small;"]]
    Thanks for your inquiry. Yes, our radios will allow a remote Speedlite to sleep. The flash can be woken up by half-pressing the shutter button on the camera. You'll need to enable Flash Idle Timeout Mode on the FlexTT5 attached to the Speedlite. It's under the Flash tab in the PocketWizard Utility.