Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Senior Shoot: Critique! Critique! Critique! Please!!

Re: First Senior Shoot: Critique! Critique! Critique! Please!!

Great shot, Rodger! Great subject and composition. Nice work in making the eyes such a strong part of the photo. I like the leading lines and geometric shapes. The contrast of textures between the tree, subject, and blurry background and bokeh are nice. The play between light and shadow is great. I like the wind-swept hair. I like the green plant for anchoring the bottom of the frame, but I don't think the flowers add much to the photo. On the whole a very good portrait.

I dislike the skin tone. I wonder if reduced saturation and warmer white balance would look better, although strong saturation is a popular look for some customers. Crushed blacks are popular for increasing global contrast, but I would prefer to see a lot more detail and color in the sweater. It looks like the red channel blew out on her arms/hands.

Good job!

Agreed on the power lines in the shot and it doesn't seem like its' following the "3rds rule" because of the powerlines

Besides that great shot.. and I think for sure it's the fake-up (sorry it's what I call make-up ) that's making it look like the face is totally different skin tone to the arms.

Thankyou for all the kind comments. And especially the critiques.

I uploaded the second edit and left the 1st one up for side by side. Here is the link to the2nd edit.

I went back and tried my best to take out the power lines. As well as try to match the skin tones better. I used the hue/saturation layer to bring the saturation down, and then used layer masks and the color balance layer to make the adjustments. I don't know the technicalities of the toning issues, but could it be that there was more light on her left arm? It kind of looks like a hotspot to me from the sun. I could be wrong though.

As for the flowers at the bottom, I will remove those when we do the actual shoot.

Again, Thank you all so much for your input!

-Rodger

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger
    I uploaded the second edit and left the 1st one up for side by side

Sorry, the "guest pass" or whatever that Flickr generates must only be good for the 2nd photo. First photo should still be up at the first post though.

I think I will use the 2nd edit for promo stuff etc. I think I like it more. You don't have to critique any longer if you don't want, but if you have a comment, don't hesitate.

Again, thanks all!

-Rodger

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger
    I uploaded the second edit and left the 1st one up for side by side

Sorry, the "guest pass" or whatever that Flickr generates must only be good for the 2nd photo. First photo should still be up at the first post though.

I think I will use the 2nd edit for promo stuff etc. I think I like it more. You don't have to critique any longer if you don't want, but if you have a comment, don't hesitate.

Again, thanks all!

-Rodger