Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buy a 7D or new glass?

Re: Buy a 7D or new glass?

Glad to help, or at least, offer opinions.

Fast Glass' point, I think, isn't that 105mm isn't long enough, but that 24mm isn't wide enough on a 1.6x crop body. IMO, the best general purpose zoom for a 1.6x crop body is theEF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. I'd get that before the 24-105mm (in fact, I did).

so that would be your suggestion if I could only afford one of the two?

One of which two? We've been throwing around a lot of pairs in here (7D/T2i, 7D/17-55, 17-55/24-105, etc.).

Let's back up - you have an XSi, but what lenses do you currently have? Anytime you make a decision on 'which lens' or 'lens vs. body' you (and those you're asking for advice) should consider what you already have.

Also, just to clarify - do you intend/want/need to shoot video with your dSLR?

I've got the 18-55 which I'm trying to get rid of, an EF 35mm f/2.0, and will most probably be getting my hands on an EF 100mm Macro f/2.0 (not sure yet).

In terms of the pairs I was asking between the 17-55 and the 24-105.

And yes, I like the 50D for it's price and features but would definitely put the extra money towards shooting video on the 7D as I steal my roommate's video camera on a weekly basis haha.

Quote Originally Posted by mikehillman89
    n terms of the pairs I was asking between the 17-55 and the 24-105

In general, I think the 17-55mm is the more useful lens on a 1.6x crop body, as a 'one-lens' solution. 24mm is not really that wide, and f/4 is not really fast enough for indoor use.

But, you're in a situation where you can check for yourself - if you've shot for a while with your 18-55mm kit lens, look back over your EXIF data to see how many shots (that you like) are in the 18-23mm range. If you don't use that part of the range much, the 24-105mm is worth considering.

Hey Mike,

I voted 7D, because you stated very clearly that video is a very important factor. Else I would choose glass over body.

Good luck!

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by mikehillman89
    I like the 50D for it's price and features but would definitely put the extra money towards shooting video on the 7D as I steal my roommate's video camera on a weekly basis

I'm definitely with Jan on this one. You want to shoot video. You have an XSi which doesn't shoot video. You can either buy a camcorder, or a video-capable dSLR.

Knowing that now, I'd definitely have voted for the 7D over a lens, originally. I based my vote on the assumption that you wanted to take nice still pics while you were on location.

Good call. I shall thumb through my photos and see what I come up with. Thanks!