Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a lens, I don't have money

Re: I need a lens, I don't have money

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan7

don't expect to buy a good tele lens for $270. I hate how much these damn things cost [img]/emoticons/emotion-39.gif[/img]

yeah try holding up a camera shop [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I think a Sigma 400mm 5.6 APO is a good tele lens. it's hard to get one for $270, but it's really close.

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto
    I think a Sigma 400mm 5.6 APO is a good tele lens. it's hard to get one for $270, but it's really close.

Have you used one? And PLEASE, if you know where to buy one of those for $270 tell me! [:P]

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan7

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto

Have you used one? And PLEASE, if you know where to buy one of those for $270 tell me! [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Brebdan, no, I have not used that one. but I saw some pictures taken with this lens on the internet, it was really nice.and if you check out the other forums online, people gave very good reviews for this lens. I tried to bid on ebay for a mint condition one about 6 weeks ago before I bought my Canon 400mm 5.6. I didn't win, and I remember the winning bidder would pay $443.85 for it.

there is one on ebay now selling for $360 shipped, after all the possible savings(bing cash, ebay buck, credit card cash back), it's going to be about $320.40(total 11% off) that's why I said it's really close. here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-Sigma-400mm-f5-6-APO-Lens-EF-autofocus-mount-/120577374930?cmd=ViewItem&amp;pt=Camera_Lenses&amp ;hash=item1c12f8bad2

update

Bing cash will be end on 07/30/10, and I'm not convincing anybody buy anything from ebay or use any cash back program, you are at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Whatsreal

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonTRD
    If you are determined that you will only spend money if you can keep the lens

yeah, you hit the nail on the head. It takes me too long to save up that money to spend it on a rental.

I get what you mean, but look at it this way: I rented a 100-400 for an airshow last week, it costs me 20 euro(like 25 dollar?) for a day and I can promise you that it will give you more pleasure and much better result then buying a "lower quality" lens. Of course you will need someone to pay a reasonable deposit/guarantee bail for you. (I don't know the proper English word for that...) I had to pay 300 Euros so you know.

I would put that money towards a faster general lens, but that's just me...

Jan

Hey Guys, thought I would post one more time on this thread. I ended up finding a mint condition 70-210 3.5/4.5 USM lens on Ebay that I picked up for $250. It is a great big brother to my 28-105 3.5-4.5 II. I haven't played with it much as I just got it, but the USM is dead silent and snappy on my XTi. Thanks for your help!

Congratulations man, hope you get much joy out of it.

Have fun! [Y]

As for money. I'll have $200 for sure and maybe could swing $250-270 but no more than that. I understand that won't get me L glass, (unless one of you have gone nuts and want to sell an L lens for that ) and that's OK.

You never know... I got an "L" lens in mint condition for $50. The trick is to find a whole set of equipment for sale on Craigslist for cheap, buy it, and then sell everything except the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by ShutterbugJohan
    You never know... I got an "L" lens in mint condition for $50. The trick is to find a whole set of equipment for sale on Craigslist for cheap, buy it, and then sell everything except the lens.

Yeah, I look at the local Craigslist listings religiously

Yeah, I look at the local Craigslist listings religiously

Ditto. There are good deals out there. I bought two L primes from CL which I later replaced with zooms (bought new) - for both of the L primes, I made a profit when I re-sold them (after a few months of use) on the same CL board.

If you can find a used 70-210mm f/4 for about $100-$150, they are a excellent lens for the dollar. They are a old and long discontinued lens with push-pull action, and very sharp.