Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking at buying the Canon 430EX II... quesitons

Quote Originally Posted by Photog82 View Post
    I read in the review that this flash only supports up to 9 AF points, will this be a problem on the 7D?
    No, I wouldn't say that's a problem. I use the 430EXII with my 7D and I'm happy with it. I didn't even know about this limitation, but on the other hand I mostly use the center AF point - especially in dim light where the AF assist beam is used. I haven't done any testing, but I suppose the AF assist beam may not cover the outer AF points of the 7D. I wouldn't bother too much about it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Photog82 View Post
    I read in the review that this flash only supports up to 9 AF points, will this be a problem on the 7D?
    No, it's fine - covers the 9 AF points on a 5DII, which gives a much wider FoV (in terms of physical dimensions) than the 19 points on the 7D, for a given focal length.

I haven't bought a speedlite since I last updated this thread, but I have some money for one now and am thinking about getting the 430EX II still, I read a rumor awhile back about Canon potentially releasing an update. Does anyone have any news on that?
    --

Certainly nothing official. It seems likely that at some point, we'll see an update to the 430EX II to make it a slave flash in their -RT system (currently the 600EX-RT and ST-E3). My personal opinion is that such a flash is already designed and ready to go, but they'll continue to milk 600EX-RT sales as long as they can, and that could be quite a while...

CR is the place for all your rumours, but I haven't heard anything lately.
    They will eventually replace all the current speedlites (or at least the top models) to have Radio Triggers not just optical, it's a question of when not if.
    For now they'll be lovingly milking everyone who wants radio triggers by forcing them into the 600RT, but that's been out for a while so it's time for more Radio Triggers this year I reckon.

Here is the latest CR rumour, december 4th saying "not far off, maybe 1st or early 2nd quarter 2013". When that translates into 'actually in-store' could be anyone's guess, seeing as we're dealing with Canon here (although, to be fair, it's not a 600mm lens, so it might ship quicker than 2 years).

If you want/need to buy one now, just get one now, the 430 mk2 or even the 430 mk1 (which i've got), there's heaps of them around so used prices are very reasonable. If you want/need the RT, then you'll have to wait 3-6 months or buy the 600. If you don't want/need RT, then there's still an advantage in waiting for the 450RT announcement, after that the used prices on 430EX 1 & 2 should drop by a bit.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

ha, snap.
    I like how we both simultaneously used the word 'milk', cynical much are we?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Looking at buying the Canon 430EX II... quesitons

Me? Never...never ever ever ever.

Re: Looking at buying the Canon 430EX II... quesitons

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    ha, snap.
    I like how we both simultaneously used the word 'milk', cynical much are we?
    Lol!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not sure if I'd need RT or the 600. I plan on using it for shooting inside photos on our upcoming baby (May) and possibly other situations.
    --

Another way to interpret it is: "Buy it now before Canon adds RT capabilities to the 430EX and doubles the price!"

Another option to consider, and I'd appreciate anybody who's used them to chime in, the the Metz mecablitz flashes. Their Metz Mecablitz 50 AF-1 is a tad cheaper than the Canon, supposedly supports everything (off camera triggering, high speed sync, etc.), but is slightly stronger (50m @ 105mm, ISO 100, instead of 43m), and can swivel both ways. Canon intentionally makes the 430EX only swivel one way to annoy people into buying the 580EX.

The Metz 50 is currently being phased out in favor of the 52 which is slightly stronger still, and trades buttons for a touchscreen, and has a (weak) modelling lamp to get an idea of where the light and shadows will fall without taking a picture and reviewing it.

I almost bought one right before Black Friday, as they were listed for $199, but when I went to the store they claimed that was an old special price, and it's now $249 (I think B&H has them for $199 for you Americans), so I remain flashless.