Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5Ds first non-marketing sample shots

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Other than Bryan's review...here is one (lensrentals) that I am most interested. As we should expect, the 5Ds/r helps with the resolution of all lenses tested. My takeaways:
    • It is interesting how much more the 5Dsr resolves compared to the 5Ds. Unless some sort of negative with the "r" is observed, that is enough of a difference that I expect the "r" to be popular with those that want every bit of resolution. It is also interesting, I wonder if Canon will start removing the AA filter in all their bodies. If so, the 5DIV and 1DX II, even with similar MP, may see a benefit and close this resolution gap a bit.
    • An example of lens limited resolution may have appeared, the Zeiss 21 mm f/2.8 in the corners.
    Looking at the numbers 20% for the 5Ds. About what I thought I was getting with the 7D II for added reach/crop in the real world. 27% for the 5 5Dsr you might be able to crop just a bit more.

I think the driving factor whether Canon removes the filter is moire. Until it is out a few months and we start hearing complaints and regrets it is still to early to say.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Looking at the numbers 20% for the 5Ds. About what I thought I was getting with the 7D II for added reach/crop in the real world. 27% for the 5 5Dsr you might be able to crop just a bit more.

I think the driving factor whether Canon removes the filter is moire. Until it is out a few months and we start hearing complaints and regrets it is still to early to say.
    Funny how often that ~1.2x keeps coming up.

Played with the numbers for center and avg....the resolution numbers for the 5Ds were 1.13-1.31 higher than the 5DIII with avg of 1.24x. The 5Dsr resolution numbers were 1.2-1.47x higher than the 5DIII with avg 1.33x (1.37x if you do not include the 50 f/1.4 results). It is actually pretty impressive that for double the MP, the gain isn't more. But, as you said, that is very similar to what you saw with the 7DII comparisons you did.

Looks like the 50 f/1.4 (shot at f/1.4) was resolution limited comparing the 5Ds and 5Ds r. I am tempted to conclude that this shows you need very good glass to differentiate between the "s" and "r"....but I really didn't care for the 50 f/1.4 at f/1.4. It starts getting "sharp" at f/2. So, I suspect most "good" lenses would show an improvement going from the "s" to the "r" with the better the lens, the more the improvement. So, excluding the 50 f/1.4 results, the "r" averaged 1.1x higher resolution numbers than the "s".

Agreed about the moire, but just want to add, I've look at full res images of several of the samples. I've yet to see much, if any. I haven't seen it in the architectural shots, but think I might have seen a bit in a bird feather. In other words, so far, so good.

This only gets me excited by a potential AA free 5DIV with ~24-26 MP sensor. Maybe get 1.1-1.2x more resolution (~0.1x from bump in MP and ~0.1x for removing the AA filter). Could be a real sweet spot. Granted, I doubt that will be a deciding factor for me. Cost, "blacker blacks" (shadow noise), and maybe fps would be higher on the list.

Looks like Bryan has started posting image results of the 5Ds and 5DsR.

For some reason, the visual comparison he gives of the 5DIII to the 5DsR impresses me more than "an average of 1.33x higher" resolution values.

Anyway, interesting addition to the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Looks like Bryan has started posting image results of the 5Ds and 5DsR.

For some reason, the visual comparison he gives of the 5DIII to the 5DsR impresses me more than "an average of 1.33x higher" resolution values.

Anyway, interesting addition to the lineup.
    I notice an anomaly between the 5Ds and 5Ds R comparison. If you look at where the Horizontal lines meet the Center target on the 5Ds every other line appears to stop just a bit short of terminating in to the black target in the circle. Where the lines on the 5Ds R do not.

I looked at this on several monitors and it looked the same. I tried to cut and save to flicker, however flicker blurred the image and you couldn't see it.

Any one else see this? I wonder what the cause is?

Comparing both at F4
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...mp=0&APIComp=3

This is the spot I am talking about
    A by hdnitehawk01, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I notice an anomaly between the 5Ds and 5Ds R comparison. If you look at where the Horizontal lines meet the Center target on the 5Ds every other line appears to stop just a bit short of terminating in to the black target in the circle. Where the lines on the 5Ds R do not.

I looked at this on several monitors and it looked the same. I tried to cut and save to flicker, however flicker blurred the image and you couldn't see it.

Any one else see this? I wonder what the cause is?
    Yep...I see it....looks like a race track from a 1980's video game. As to the cause...I could only speculate that it is an artifact of jpeg compression. You can sometimes see similar artifacts where the smooth continuous lines turn into odd shaped blocks where a lens/camera can no longer resolve the detail.

Here is a quick example with the 7DII @ 200%. But you can see these when magnifying several different lens/lower resolution bodies....

So....looks like the 5DsR can resolve...just...that...much...more....detail compared to the 5Ds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lil blocks.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	2448  

It is hard to compare the 7D II since it was shot 1.6x the distance away for same framing.
    But it is amazing the difference between the 5D III and 5Ds.

Back to the anomaly, I wonder which is the accurate representation of the actual chart. Do the lines terminate in to the black target or stop short?

Thing is when I post it to Flickr it goes away. I can still see it on my screen shot cuts on my sample copies.

I see the termination differences as well. One has to admit this is some really thin, thin gruel difference. The step from the 5D3 is pretty big when looking at the charts. I will be spending 10 days at Glacier and well be testing "real world" differences 'tween the R and III - rented the R from LR.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    ... I will be spending 10 days at Glacier and well be testing "real world" differences 'tween the R and III - rented the R from LR.
    That will be interesting to see. I hope you will be sharing (a lot).
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr