Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Humming Birds

Re: Let's Talk Humming Birds

Ok Bill, Enough Showing off. Those pics are great, and now I am envious. I have avoided the high frame rates because the flash won't keep up, with your advice and the advice of others I'll readjust my technique and see what pops up.

Sorry for the late reply, I have been tied up with work.

Thanks,

Bob
    Bob

OK, OK, the secret recipe isn't really that secret, but works very well in moderation---Remember the birds still need the nutrition of flowers---but occasionally if you want just a little more activity around the feeder---Try a 50/50 mix of sugar and water. Make sure you heat the water first so the sugar completely dissolves--then load up that feeder. Also make sure you empty and refill the feeder regularly because that much sugar will draw buggs, bees etc. At the moment we have to refill the feeders every day. In the early morning and late evening we may have 15-20 birds hitting the feeders. Just for the birds health, I wouldn't recommend doing this more than once or twice a week---Maybe one of our birds experts could shed some light on whether or not this is too unhealthy for the birds??
    Bob

Thanks Joel---I'll give it a try
    Bob

Bill, Thanks again for the education--Like you my 100-400 is on my camera most of the time---but that kind of sharpness has eluded me. I have tried several different things to impprove it, (Including sending the lens back to canon and in-camera microadjustment) but I am just not seeing those kind of results---I'll continue to practice---

Thanks

Bob
    Bob

Bob.....I to had my doubts about my 100-400 when I first started shooting w/it. But after talking to some folks that use the 100-400, I discovered it wasn't the lens, it was the guy using it.

It's taken practice (lots of shots) and, like HBs, patience.....I'm still not satisfied w/my percentage of keepers, but hey, I'm retired (yeah, I had to rub it in) what else is there to do....oh yeah, cycling, golf, skiing, fishing and the list keeps growing much to my wife's chagrin. LOL

I'm going to mix up a new batch for the HBs tomorrow morning at 50/50 and I'll let you know if I get an increase in visits.

BTW....keep an eye on Sinh Nhut Nguyen's (Nate) work and tips.

Regards

Bill

I've got some shots of hummingbirds but I don't know what's wrong with the birds I have in my yard...they don't look anywhere near as nice as the ones shown in the photos. They're kinda scruffy looking, some missing feathers, etc. They're not shiny and iridescent like the ones here. I don't know why.

I don't know much about birds so I'm just guessing it has to do with species and time of year perhaps? Or maybe they're juveniles? I have no clue. I'll try to do more shots next week.

This is a shot (heavily cropped) with a single on camera 430ex flash set to manual mode 1/16 output. Canon 40D, 70-200mmL 2.8 IS lens set at 98 mm, 1/200 sec., f10, iso500...one single on camera flash really isn't bright enough but you can see how reducing the flash output will shorten the pulse duration enough to freeze the wing motion. I'm saving up to get more flash units and a pocket wizard remote system and perhaps a bigger lens or lens extender....this example is just to illustrate a technique for freezing high speed events.

Joel Eade

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.32.28/IMG_5F00_9559.jpg[/img]

Here is another one with the same technique....I know these aren't technically great yet ...I need more light and more work on my skills but it gets the idea across for now.

Joel Eade[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.32.28/IMG_5F00_9619.jpg[/img]

I disagree Joel....they look pretty darn good to me.

Sure there's a little technique work to be done, but, to me, it looks like you have the frozen wings (especially the first pic) technique down pretty good.

Thanks Bill, I read about this technique on the internet and just had to try it even though I didn't have all the recommended gear to get the best results. I think with more light and better exposure I will be able to get greater detail with alot less noise, I think it would help to have 300 to 400 mm focal length as well so the bird would fill more of the frame. Hopefully I can acquire the extra gear I'm wanting before the summer is over.

<span style="color: #008000;"]www.rpphoto.com/howto/hummer/humguide1.asp

Check this link to read more about it.