Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best (cheapest) FILM camera for learning the basics

Quote Originally Posted by w349 View Post
    The FD glass is inherited and selling is not something I'd want to do. I am holding on to it for sentimental reasons and I suspect I will never use it again
    Perhaps you've missed a small part. Those FD lenses can be mount on any Canon camera with an EOS mount. The only thing you need is an FD-EOS adapter. It might even be big fun to use the old lenses again and it might spark some sentimental creativeness

In my opinion I agree with the others. Digital is the way to go. Film might sound easier, but in reality there's a lot more to do with that.
    If you're going to learn someone the basics, start easy and start with one thing at a time. Don't throw ISO, Metering, Auto-Focuspoint, Aperture, Shutterspeed and all that in the lesson at once. Do one thing at a time.
    Start with aperture. You just set up ISO and use the AV mode. Use center point AF and let your student try and experience what the aperture is and how it affects your photo.
    Then shutterpeed and or ISO.

Framing and composition can easily be done later on. If one gets the basics, the rest will follow.
    Believe me, my girlfriend is not so familiar in technical terms and in the beginning I was rushing things. Doing it step by step worked It requires a lot of patience from your side though

Jan

Just repeating myself here. An FD-EOS adapter contains cheap glass that will not do your FD-lenses justice. I suggest that you either go for film and use the lenses you have, or for digital and buy EOS lenses. Myself, I went from film to digital and have never regretted. Besides, the lens-buying is actually quite fun, provided that you have money enough (which I don't have at the moment ).
    Lars