Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: if you could have just one......

Re: if you could have just one......

These are lenses that"live" on my bodies:

EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS on my APS-C

EF 24-105 4 IS L on my FF.I also own the 24-70 2.8 L and still I don't use it as much as the 24-105.

I'm going to have to go with the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS like piiooo. It's the ultimate general purpose lens for my 50D. Most of my work is done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozen
    If you could just have one lens, which would it be. General uses would be portrait and landscape.

24mm f/1.4 II. Awesome landscapes. Low light. Environmental portraits (crop for tighter portraits). It's just my favorite all round lens.

I know I will never just get one lens, this was more of a poll type thing. In fact I already have 3 lenses. I just wanted to see what everyone thought. As for parameters, I own a 40D with plans of getting a 7D. I'm just waiting on specs for the new 60D. As for lenses I own a Sigma 10-20mm, a Canon 50mm 1.8, and a Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro. I find I generally shoot landscapes and portraits and some artistic/abstract stuff. Occasionally I need a telephoto, but not enough to need an expensive one.

I just notice sometimes when I'm out shooting it is a hassle to switch between the 3 lenses and it slows me down. Here is what I like/dislike about the 3 that I have:

Sigma 10-20mm- Love the super wide angle. Sometimes images don't "pop" as much as I'd like. Distortion can sometimes be a problem.

Canon 50mm 1.8- good low light lens, great shallow depth of field. Bokeh and flare issues leave a little to be desired. Also auto focus is kinda slow.

Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro- great for close up macro work. Super sharp and great depth of field. Auto focus searches sometimes and isn't as fast as I'd like.

I'm looking for a lens that can "do a little of everything" (I know, almost impossible.)

I was mainly considering the Canon 24-70L as it has a decent wide angle, low light capability (as far as zooms go), and fast auto focus. Apparently it also has semi decent close up capabilities (obviously not a macro lens).

Others I was considering were the Tamron 17-50mm (very affordable), the Canon 24-105L (broader focal range, but F4), and I'm open to other suggestions.

Does anyone have a non-cropped "macro" shot taken with the 24-70L? I just want to see how close up it can get. Thanks.

For a crop body (like you have and are planning on upgrading to), the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. If there was an EF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM lens, my answer might be different...

If it had to be ONE lens, would be 24-105. Good range imo.

Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5 L II Tilt-Shift if price is not a factor

Canon 85 f1.8 if price is an issue

Canon EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS.

good to hear all your opinions. How about this curve ball then. Say I were to have a 7D, what one lens would you want to have considering HD video shooting as well?

Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L or a decent lightstrong fixed lens that still gives you enough wide angle on a 7D 1.6 crop factor cam..