Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DoF Preview

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky View Post
    I would almost be crazy enough to say to buy a second t2i with a different focusing screen just for fast lenses
    Another perfect excuse why I need to upgrade my body AND my lens... (somehow I don't think my wife will buy this argument). I don't think I'd be interested in a full frame unless it was body #3 (assuming I keep the T2i as a backup). I shoot 90% sports or children playing so frame rate is king. Sure I wouldn't turn down a 5D II but I wouldn't buy one. Now, the 1DX does everything I want in a camera - somehow I don't think the misses will go for that one either.

In terms of shooting with the 85L f/2.1 I doubt I'll use it much. It's going to get incorporated into an experiment and stay there. I was just doing some ... testing - you know, to make sure the lens works and all that... (even though it's going to get parked at minimum focal distance and set to manual focus for the rest of its life).

Thanks for the info on the screens. That's good to know regardless.

Glad to help out a little.
    To be fair I shoot a lot of action and sports-related stuff and I never felt that the 5D2 was holding me back. I could use a faster frame rate from time to time, but it simply rocks in other things. When I compare it to my girlfriends 40D I don't get regrets on buying a 5D2...even for sports.

About the 85mm f1.2L. The testing you did was very good. You have to realise that it ages faster if you don't move it around. It needs at least 1 hour per week AF-training to keep the lens in good shape. The last thing you want is to have it turn into one piece of big heavy bulky glass...keep it in shape! I also know a good training and rehabilitation center in the Netherlands if you can't get the job done yourself. Just PM me for the adress

Mind you, your 5D2 shoots ever so slightly faster than my T2i so I guess we're even in the frame rate department. However, if I were going to pay several kilodollars for a new camera I'd more likely buy a 7D ahead of a 5D2. Of course, The 1D4 would be the one I'd blow a lot of cash on shy of having a 1D-X land in my lap.

I've got to set up an auto-focus test stand. It appears the 85 is front focusing by quite a bit on my T2i. Lacking any AFMA I doubt I'll be able to 'test' it very much - at least not below f2 or so. But as I said for my (work) purposes it'll do just fine.

In frame-rate we do equal out, however the shutterlag of the t2i is a lot slower and therefor a lot less practical for sports. IMO shutterlag has a much larger impact on your keeper-rate than the frame-rate does.
    To be fair the 1DX seems to be the ultimate camera for me, however I'm still very happy with the one I got now
    PS: I'd rather get 2 50D/40D's than 1 7D. I used it twice now and seen some results from a friend and it might be coincidence, but that thing has a very soft output. And I don't really like sharpening every single shot.

As for the 85mm focusing. At f1.2 the DOF is so shallow that you might prefer live-view anyway for most of your shots. Have fun