Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting your foot in the door?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Getting your foot in the door?

I understand your heart for another place, but I think the suggestion to shoot for a newspaper makes more career sense, as it gives you assignments AND gets your work published. That brings eyeballs to your work, and in this electronic age puts your name in archives as the photographer on a particular image.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Re: Getting your foot in the door?

You should be aware that newspapers all over the country are in the midst of a crisis. They have essentially been giving all of their content away for free online, and have been relying solely on advertising and print subscription revenue, both of which have tanked since the recession. Newspapers are losing money left and right; the Boston Globe was almost shut down by the New York Times. As a result, there are literally no jobs for grads with no work experience, let alone for people with actual experience. I'm more familiar with the writing side of things, as I was an English major, but I would keep other options in mind. Nothing is worse than graduating from college and not being able to find a job, or having to work for next to nothing freelancing at a local paper.