Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Computers arghhhhh.. 32 or 64, HDR arghh...

Re: Computers arghhhhh.. 32 or 64, HDR arghh...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U

I did evrything I could to make it simple and painless, but it didn't happen my friend. I just received CS5 and HDR Efex software and ordered a new computer system to replace the ancient heap of you know what thatI had been using for too long. I specified my needs to the sales person, Photoshop and blah blah blah. He said that the system I had chosen would not cut it, I would need quad core. "Quad core you say," I think, what could I have been thinking, of course I need quad core. I wonder if there is sext core, maybe I should get that. I didn't ask, but promptly agreed and laughed off my previous system as ancient and went with the experts suggestion.

For adobe speed ofa singleprocessesor is more important than multi cores, as most of the work will happen in the one core. There are dozens of blogs out where people complain that photoshop only uses one of the cores at a time. It was my understanding (possibly wrong) that CS4 would only use 1 core. CS5is supposed to be able to use multiple cores,for difficult functions, but there are alot of complaints circulating that it does not.Unfortunatly believing the computer geek salesman is an "expert" is usualy a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnston

However, if your goal is photoshop, lightroom, etc. Those programs are virtually the same on either system. So saying one is better at photo editing than the other.... Meh, not really.

When it was CS4 before windows 7, this was not true. You were limited to 4gb of ram on windows, compared to...32gb on my mac pro, its all about speed. It may be right with windows 7 running 62bit now.

As for Apple, I have been using windows since windows came out. What I like about Apple is first all the best stuff goes in their computer. When you buy one, you bring it home and plug it in and guess what...It works. And when you buy somthing to go with it like I phone or I TV or whatever and you bring it home and plug it in.....again it works. No fuss no fight. Order a new drive for my Mac Pro...plug it in and again ..it works. Windows it seems you always have to work on it to get it to dowhat you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    on my mac pro

The base price for a MAC pro with only 16 gb is $4,274 on Apples website. (that is with ONE hard drive, ONE VGA card, and no adobe software or monitor.) I don't think we are talking about the same ball park. Sure, its all about speed, but at THAT price [:|]. Ouch.

An apples to apples comparison of similarly spec'd PC and Mac would show little difference in the editing environments of Adobe software. Thats all I am saying.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnston

The base price for a MAC pro with only 16 gb is $4,274 on Apples website. (that is with ONE hard drive, ONE VGA card, and no adobe software or monitor.) I don't think we are talking about the same ball park. Sure, its all about speed, but at THAT price [img]/emoticons/emotion-8.gif[/img]. Ouch.

Yes over kill for sure, but it is a work horse. Mine is a year old 2x4 processors with added to 16gb of ram and 4 hard drives. You do pay a premimum for Apple...and mine is the best computer I have ever had to run Windows.

That is why I pointed out earlier that (from what I have read) CS5 needs a fast single processor more than it needs multiple processors. A far less machine is just as capable of running CS5 as adequatly. My understanding is that all the extra beef in my computer doesn't really come in to play unless I am doing some heavy video editing.

My understanding is that all the extra beef in my computer doesn't really come in to play unless I am doing some heavy video editing.

Agreed, sir.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

My computing environment is multi-cultural. I have real computers (Linux), cheap computers (Windows), and fruit-flavored computer substitutes (Apple).

Out of these, I recommend Mac mostly to rich folks and novices, because it costs about twice as much for the same Chinese-made hardware, and the novices need something that is intuitive and easy to use. For intermediate folks, I recommend Windows because it

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    For intermediate folks, I recommend Windows because it's cheaper and it's faster than running Windows software in a VM.

Using VM yes you are right. Running windows from boot camp...cheaper yes, faster no its the same.

Agreed, but I don

This is the same old pandora
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Sorry for your difficulties Steve, it really shouldn't be that hard. The "expert" was an expert salesman,that's for sure, but youdon'tneed a quad core hehe.64 bit works great on W7 and with CS-5. There are still some filter pluginns that only work on the 32 bit CS5 though. But since you install both of them when installing the 64bit software package, it's not a big problem. I personally haven't experienced any other problems than that.

When it was CS4 before windows 7, this was not true. You were limited to 4gb of ram on windows, compared to...32gb on my mac pro, its all about speed. It may be right with windows 7 running 62bit now.

Are you kidding me? 32GB for real? Haha you must have multiple very high end processors (6 cores or even more)in that case, plus I assume you're not working with normal HDD's, but multiple SSD's? Anyway you would have a lot of bottlenecks before you're even starting to use a part of all that memory.

I agree Apple looks nice, but it's way overpriced and let's say that their marketing part is the best there is, because you can get a lot more for a lot less [A]

I'm glad I can build my own pc's []