Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who needs the mirror?

Re: Who needs the mirror?

Quote Originally Posted by piiooo
    I hope to see both types of cameras available for a long time, although my prediction is that the electronic viewfinder will eventually take over.

I'm not against EVF interchangeable-lens cameras, but the day they take over and there are no more Canon pentaprisms, I'm switching to Nikon! []

Hold on! What are we doing? Taking the SLR out of DSLR?

Quote Originally Posted by alexniedra
    Hold on! What are we doing? Taking the SLR out of DSLR?

Technically, they're taking the "R" out of "SLR". It is still a "single-lens" camera, but the "reflex" (mirror) is gone. I still prefer the mirror. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    A digital viewfinder sounds like anawfulidea to me. when your eyes gets too close to a digital screen, its very easy to see pixels, and it might actually hurt your eye after a while. besides, I like mechanical devises way more than electrical ones.

I agree. Absolutely!

Yep. That would be it...

My mistake []

OK, I think I see light at the end of the tunnel:

Canon to launch smaller high-quality camera -executive

Prior to SLR cameras, we had viewfinder cameras, and twin lens reflex, and cameras with ground glass backs. The viewfinder cameras gave the photographer problems framing the image, and focusing the image.

The twin lens reflex cameras solved that to a great extent, but imposed other limitations, like the requirement for two identical lenses.

Cameras with ground glass backs were difficult to view in bright light, but, you could compose and focus accurately. With the larger film formats in use, results are still stunning when viewed 100 years later.

The SLR provided a better solution for smaller format film, but it required a mirror. There were variations on the theme, pellix mirrors that did not move, etc, but the advantages stayed the same.

Electronic viewfinders with the ability to display the actual image from the sensor have a lot of promise, but so far, the resolution is too low. Its just a matter of time until the point is reached where photographers decide the technology is ready for the big time.

I like the idea of no mirror bringing the lens closer to the sensor. Then they can make an adapter for any manufacturers lens and have the entire focus range available and you can use Nikon, Canon, etc... which lens do you like the most?...

Also having the lens closer to the sensor allows for less glass/lens groups. I have always been told this is one of the reason a Rangefinder was so sharp.

Mark
    Mark

Back in the film days, didn't Canon or Nikon come out with a pro camera where the mirror didn't raise for each shot?

Bringing a lens closer to the sensor is only useful for wide-angle designs (e.g., < 50mm). But even so, for very wide angle lenses, there will be much stronger vignetting due to the increased angle of light rays emerging from the rear element and striking the image periphery. So while less extreme retrofocus designs would be an advantage, this does not come without its own disadvantages as well.