Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 40D or T1i?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 40D or T1i?

I can help to make a side to side comparison between these two cameras. Compared to the T1i, this is how the 40D looks like.

Pro:
    • More reliable and rigid alloy body
    • Faster and more reliable focusing
    • Faster frame rate (6.5FPS vs. 3.5FPS)
    • More battery life (1,100 frames)
    • Better ergonomics
    • Faster controls
    • Brighter and larger view finder
    • Prosumer camera that feels good

Con:
    • Bigger and heavier than Rebels
    • Does not have video
    • Lower resolution (10MP vs. 15MP)
    • Does not have some of the new features (such as Peripheral Illumination Correction)
    • 2 years older (07 vs. 09)

The T1i feels like a 50D packed into a Rebel's body and made slow, while the 40D feels like a 50D at 10MP resolution - for the same price, I will pick up the 40D since I think what 40D has is more important than what T1i can offer. Plus, though 2 years older, the 40D may still hold more value when eventually you're looking for selling it.

I've got an XSi and if someone offered to trade even for either the [b]XSi has is really overkill for my use and creates larger file sizes. This would be even more of an issue with the T1i's 15mp files. Call me a spoil sport but the video the T1i offers doesn't interest me at all. I'm just a still picture kind of guy. The durability and frame rate would draw me to the 40D. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with a Rebel,I love mine but I'd like a more professional grade body.

I know it's not what you asked but I'd save a little longer and get a 50D it's pretty much best of both worlds when compared to these two. No video but who cares? I don't.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

the XXD cameras feel better and are more enjoyable to use, for me.

Rebels are great image quality for the money, but they're one step away from a point and shoot camera in terms of build and heft.

Personal choice on that venue...

One more thing.

I dropped a 30d from about 5 feet up onto a street. It got a couple dents. if I dropped my rebel from that height, it might have exploded.