Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading from XSI

Well I posted this debate a while ago, and kind of sat on my xsi without making a decision to upgrade. Now that it's summer time, I'm picking up my camera a lot more. A great thing. I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on an upgrade, but still don't know which way to proceed. I'm to the point where I think go big or go home might be a good way to go about it. If I got the new mk5dIII, it should cover my needs for a few years to come. I would have to add to my lens list, thinking the 24-70 F2.8L lense would be a good match for the 15-85 that I already own and won't be able to use if I do go 5D. On the other hand, seeing that canon upgrades every few years I'm wondering if a 60D upgrade is in works. It could meet my needs if it were to get some of the improved features that have been recently released on the Canon sets of DSLR's. Anyone have a gut feel on any 60D activitiy (other than the 60Da)?

Canon seems to be flinging new bodies into the market at a very rapid pace right now. May be a sign of production getting itself sorted out after last year. Even so, if it hasn't been announced and released who knows when an updated product will appear these days. It will take a bit of time to recoup all the development costs of everything recently brought into the marketplace.

5D3 is an excellent body. Have replaced my 7D and 5D2 bodies with it. Superior AF by far, amongst other improvements, with IQ slightly ahead of 5D2 and no loss of resolution. If you can swing it financially and want to take the leap I'd recommend it highly.

If most of what you photogragh is relatively still, the 5D2 still works very well. Just doesn't like faster moving targets.

The differences in the 18 MP C sized bodies are quite well covered in Bryan's reviews if there are features missing from your XSi that have become must-haves. 7D is the only one of the lot I had. used it for the AF system, not image quality.

The question is: would you like to upgrade your equipment or improve you photographs?

If it’s the latter, then the next question is: how? Most of the times, the amateur concern about resolution, vignetting, distortion and so on is nonsense. As you have pointed out, a camera doesn’t make photographs, photographers do.

You already have an excellent gear, stretch it to the limit. Try to reproduce pictures from photographers you like, take part in contests, travel, make illustrated reports as if you were working for a magazine (even with a deadline). There are many ways you can push yourself to improve your pictures and also develop your own criteria about what it’s a good picture. Then nobody but you will be able to know if you need another camera or lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Agilulfo View Post
    Most of the times, the amateur concern about resolution, vignetting, distortion and so on is nonsense. As you have pointed out, a camera doesn’t make photographs, photographers do.
    True, but note that the dominant issue in this thread is things like autofocus and weathersealing. No matter how good a photographer is, the photographer does not control autofocus. The camera body and lens do. So, a 7D or 5D3 would be a better tool than the XSI if autofocus, for example, is your main issue.

The Ansell Adamses of this world would have had a hard time nailing the focus on a moving subject.

I just recently contemplated the same question, moving from a T1i to something a bit better.

While the T1i has served me well I had some of the very same concerns that you have mentioned, particularly the sealing since most of my shooting is done outdoors. I ended up with a 60d (just this weekend), 24-105 combo that I am so far loving. In addition to the sealing, the ergonomics, top lcd, and decreased shutter delay/increased fps are providing a much different experience than my Rebel. I haven't really had much of a chance to note the differences in focusing and metering as of yet but from what I have read I should see an improvement. So far zero regrets on the purchase.

I had considered the 7d but at the end of the day the 60d accomplished most of what I was looking for. I wasn't ready to step into 5d territory, but I'm sure the mkIII, 24-70 setup would be an amazing alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by jfindley View Post
    Well I posted this debate a while ago, and kind of sat on my xsi without making a decision to upgrade. Now that it's summer time, I'm picking up my camera a lot more. A great thing. I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on an upgrade, but still don't know which way to proceed. I'm to the point where I think go big or go home might be a good way to go about it. If I got the new mk5dIII, it should cover my needs for a few years to come. I would have to add to my lens list, thinking the 24-70 F2.8L lense would be a good match for the 15-85 that I already own and won't be able to use if I do go 5D. On the other hand, seeing that canon upgrades every few years I'm wondering if a 60D upgrade is in works. It could meet my needs if it were to get some of the improved features that have been recently released on the Canon sets of DSLR's. Anyone have a gut feel on any 60D activitiy (other than the 60Da)?
    This wanders on purpose - read it with humor

You live in such an area for landscape and nature photography - urban lifestyles are also available - what a "dynamic range" you have within a few hours - GREAT FOR YOU! Much of it reasonably comfortable temperature wise (can you tell it is stupid hot & humid in Orlando...)

I am in the same thought process - I bought the T3i as a test or transitional body to see where my return to photo led - well not to high frame rate, uber low light - more landscaping, macro work, time lapse, and a surprising amount of video - I usually do a video clip of the family creatures instead of the posed posse pic for example.

I am tossing and turning between the 5dii and 5diii (occasional bouts of Danny Browning & jumping do Niko-land D800).

I don't see the value in upgrading to a better crop sensor - sort of a waste of a trip. Full Frame, and either 24-70 or 24-105 w/ a prime or two for the ultra sharpness. The bother for me is the 5dii dated feature set - even the T4i squeezes an extra stop of ISO out of the Digic 5 processor.....(does it really do that much/any better in ISO 200, 125th land?)

I am not disappointed with the IQ of the T3i - at times I find it just plain great when I get the exposure right, focus, etc all lined up.

If you are not going high frame rate - I would put down the 7d/60d and pick up the 5dii. 60d good body -same sensor as the t2i,t3i,t4i,60d,7d - what features are you buying for which $$$.

Canon just laid out the double rebate on lens + body for the 7d or 60d (read new body coming soon). "Next Month" is always the better time to by any electronics. For what it is worth, I watched several 5dii+24-105 with effectively no use roll through fleabay the other night for $2,300 - equates to $1,450 for the body and $850 for the lens. Oooof it got awful tempting.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by thekingb View Post
    True, but note that the dominant issue in this thread is things like autofocus and weathersealing. No matter how good a photographer is, the photographer does not control autofocus. The camera body and lens do. So, a 7D or 5D3 would be a better tool than the XSI if autofocus, for example, is your main issue.
    First, photographer can control autofocus selecting the focusing point. And there is a second level of control, very interesting in my opinion: turn autofocus off.

Second, when I say stretch to the limit I mean questions like how many pictures did you miss because of the autofocus? Did you try every possible configuration of the autofocus system? Did you try manual focus? Did you take pictures under heavy rain often enough to need a 2.000$ camera? A 50$ rain cover or a plastic bag with a hole would be sufficient?

Unless you can answer questions like this (an many others), precisely because you know well the limits of the camera and your personal needing as photographer, nobody can say what camera is appropriate.

yes, all true I think, but it is also a lot of fun to play with new gear :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Agilulfo View Post
    First, photographer can control autofocus selecting the focusing point. And there is a second level of control, very interesting in my opinion: turn autofocus off.
    When I upgraded my XS to a 7D, one of the greatest joys was the jump from 7 to 19 focus points.

I also used a Zeiss manual focus lens for a while. If I had more opportunities to shoot stationary subjects, I would have gladly kept it. However, using manual focus with moving subjects is very very challenging. Hats off to whomever can do that reliably.

Quote Originally Posted by ahab1372 View Post
    yes, all true I think, but it is also a lot of fun to play with new gear :-)
    Also true.