Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Used and Refurbished Lenses and Cameras

Re: Used and Refurbished Lenses and Cameras

I've been toying with the idea of upgrading from my 40D and adding a lens or two....checking out refurbs vs used vs new. Having talked to a number of smart people and looked at craigslist and the various forum listings a couple of times a week for the past few months, I've developed sort of a checklist with the main pros and cons of each option:

TOP CHOICES

- Buying used from a friend. This has a lot of advantages...first, you probably already have an idea about the person's character/honesty, how they treat their equipment, maybe even why they're selling it. Second, you can almost always borrow the equipment to see if you really like it before buying. Third, you know the item's history. And fourth, when you're dealing with a friend, the price may be very good, because the seller doesn't have to go through the hassle of listing or shipping the item, and he/she knows you're unlikely to pull a fast one, etc.

- Buying new. You get the advantage of a warranty and a retailer who (almost always, especially if you're detailing with a reputable one) will help you out if there's a problem.

ALMOST-AS-GOOD CHOICES

- Buying refurb/"blems"/open box. I've found that this is great for stuff like flashes, bags and tripods. I haven't tried it with a body or lens yet because I can't shake the sneaking feeling that there's some pesky problem that will return. "Cosmetic flaws" are a great way to save money--really, who cares if there's a small scratch on a monopod? That's going to happen soon enough with use anyway.

- Buying through forums. Obviously, this is a popular option. People want to protect their reputation, and many of the forum users seem like the kind of photographers who take very good care of their equipment. If they're selling, it's usually because they want to upgrade, or because they're not using the item very much. Most are very forthcoming about the condition and history of the item. The biggest disadvantage is that you usually can't try before you buy (regional/local forums excepted).

MIGHT BE FINE, BUT CAUTION ADVISED

- Craigslist. After scanning the listings for a little while, you start to get a sense for which ones to avoid. Confidence-builders include a good description of the item and decent photos. Warning signs are brand-new items without a box or receipts, items with multiple owners, sellers who won't answer questions about serial numbers or shutter counts, etc., and the countless listings that just sound fishy ("I bought this 1DS Mark III for my girlfriend and it's too much camera for her so I'm selling it for $2,000 for a quick sale"). Personal annoyance: Sellers who copy and paste descriptions of their gear from The-Digital-Picture.com and try to pass off Bryan's reviews as their own thoughts.

WATCH OUT

- EBay. Sure, you can find tons of decent stuff from reputable sellers, but it's still easy to get burned. And who wants the hassle of having to fight with someone over a problem? I bought a lens a few years ago that was described as "clean and optically perfect." The seller had lots of positive feedback. The lens arrived and there was a chip in the multicoating. The seller claimed that he was talking about the glassbeing optically perfect, not the coating, and when I looked back at the photos from the listing, the chip turned out to be visible (but the seller had managed to make it look like a reflection). Ebay wouldn't back me up because the item was as listed and pictured.I think a lot of Ebay sellers cruise garage sales looking for gear they can buy for pocket change to re-sell...in which case they probably know little about photography, and you're never going to find out the item's history. I also bought a power tool that was described as "starts right up and runs great." What the seller didn't say was that it would grind to a halt after 2 minutes of use, once the motor warmed up. I wouldn't buy anything used on Ebay unless I knew the seller. Well, maybe a lens cap.

Sorry for the long post...hope it's helpful!

Jeff

I am a reliability engineer by profession (though new to the field), and in terms of the reliability of electronics, there are usually a certain number of units of a product that come off the manufacturing line with weaknesses that can cause failure in the first 90 days. In some ways, a used or moreso, a refurbished lens will probably be less likely to have these weaknesses. This depends a lot on the manufacturing process and whether Canon stress tests its units before sending them out the door (I don't know about this). Once an item is found defective and is refurbished by the manufacturer, it is very unlikely that it will have the same defect again. Lightning striking twice and all...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Probert

I am a reliability engineer by profession (though new to the field), and in terms of the reliability of electronics, there are usually a certain number of units of a product that come off the manufacturing line with weaknesses that can cause failure in the first 90 days. In some ways, a used or moreso, a refurbished lens will probably be less likely to have these weaknesses. This depends a lot on the manufacturing process and whether Canon stress tests its units before sending them out the door (I don't know about this). Once an item is found defective and is refurbished by the manufacturer, it is very unlikely that it will have the same defect again. Lightning striking twice and all...

Wow, I didn't know that. That's very interesting and it definitely gives me a new perspective on refurbished items. Thanks for the insight!

<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: 'Comic Sans MS';"]Stephen's post certainly reflects the feedback we receive concerning refurbished items. <o></o>

<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: 'Comic Sans MS';"]Items that come off a production line can only be sampled at random for potential problems, whereas a 'refurbished by Canon camer'a, has, of course, been attended to individually, by hand<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: 'Comic Sans MS';"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]Sincerely<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: 'Comic Sans MS';"]<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador<o></o>

<st1ersonname w:st="on"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]helen.oster@adoramacamera.com</st1ersonname><span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]www.adoramacamera.com<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<o><span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]</o>
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<o><span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]</o>

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    Helen@adorama.com

So with refurbished gear I've noticed that sometimes there is a difference in price between the same product. Is that caused by the cost of refurbs or the quality of what wasn't fixed?
    7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II

I love Adorama's refurbed list. It's the homepage on one of my tabs. I attempted a few times to get an EF 50mm f/1.4 USM. Someone always beat me to it. They (Adorama) seemed to have caught on to how quick it was moving and raised the price on that item. So, Isettling for,a refurbed EF 50mm f1.8 II, which I've enjoyed.Later I got a refurbed 430EX to go with it. As far as I can tell the only physical difference from new merchandise is the Small "Refurb" sticker. I know the warranty is the only real difference but in my experience, limited though it may be in photography, with other electronics I've found that if it works fine from the start and first few hours of useit will, with almost no exception, outlast the factory warranty anyway.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

I'm a huge fan of Adorama's refurbished list as well. They have even called after I ordered something and told me they checked it before shipping and it just wasn't up to their standards, so they were refunding my money. I have bought a body, a lens and a flash from them and i I have recommended them to at least 20 firends who have bought lens.

Thank you so much for your feedback, which is very much appreciated.

However, don't forget that I am always available for direct contact regarding queries concerning an order from Adorama Camera or AdoramaPix.

Sincerely

Helen Oster

Adorama Camera customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

www.adorama.com
    Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ozimax

I bought a new 70-200 F2.8 IS lens, found it wasn't sharp and sold it. I then purchased a refurbished 70-200 F2.8 non IS from Adorama, and it was perfect in every respect. Saved some dough too. Thoroughly recommended.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]Many thanks for the recommendation for Adorama - very much appreciated.
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]I do hope we can continue to offer you great service - but do let us know if there is anything we at Adorama Camera or at AdoramaPix could do to make your shopping experience even better!
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]Sincerely
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]Helen Oster
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<st1ersonname w:st="on"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]helen.oster@adoramacamera.com</st1ersonname>
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]www.adorama.com

Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com

I've purchased both my bodies used.

My 20D I got when it was still quite new, from the local camera store. This one I was able to see, hear the story, etc.
    My 1DmkII I just purchsed off eBay. It had a very thorough description and lots of pictures and turned out just as good as expected.

As far as lenses, I usually browse the forums for stuff, but so far have ended up buying new, usually on Canon's rebate list. In this way the prices sometimes are so close to what they sell for used that it's just not worth it in my mind to buy a used one.

But, I did just pick up a refurb 50 1.8 from Adorama, it's currently in transit. I generally wouldnt be afraid ofa refurb product as like mentioned, they are quality tested before being re-sold.

Heck, the laptop that I'm using is a Dell factory refurb, works like new, looks like new, saved big $$.