Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a Tripod.... Suggestions?

Re: I need a Tripod.... Suggestions?

There are few people here who are using Feisol tripods - looks like they have good stuff.

I consider myself buying one from them. A nice Feisol tripod (carbon fiber!) + ballhead will cost you about $370 and that includes a quick release clamp, quick release plate and I think a carrying bag too.

I'm not sure if they ship international or not. If not, you can buy their products from Really Big Cameras - they do international shipping.

Save your money and but a GOOD set of legs no matter what your putting on them. Also, don't scrimp on the head, it's as important as the legs.

I'll agree with what everyone is saying. I bought a cheap Manfrotto a while back for 75 bucks and it just couldn't hold the weight of my setup. The legs would bow under the weight and the head couldn't hold the camera where I needed it. I ended up selling it on craigslist.

Save your money and get a good tripod, I'm still saving up myself.

I did want to ask if anyone has used one of those gorilla pods? I plan on doing a lot of traveling in the future and I don't really feel like carrying a big tripod around. Anyone have much luck with them? They claim to be able to hold the 70-200 lens which is the heaviest lens I have (f/2.8 IS). I would think it'd be good to have in a pinch if you're out in the woods and and need to anchor your camera on a tree branch or something like that.

You might want to try the flexible gripping tripod from Maxsaver. It has the same specs as the Gorillapod SLR-Zoom, yet is less than $10. I bought one and use it as an additional lightstand for my flashes. Personally, I wouldn't trust it to hold my 50D, battery grip, and 70-200 f/2.8 IS alone--but it might be fine for a little bit of added stability.

Quote Originally Posted by henytran

I did want to ask if anyone has used one of those gorilla pods? I plan on doing a lot of traveling in the future and I don't really feel like carrying a big tripod around. Anyone have much luck with them? They claim to be able to hold the 70-200 lens which is the heaviest lens I have (f/2.8 IS). I would think it'd be good to have in a pinch if you're out in the woods and and need to anchor your camera on a tree branch or something like that.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I've had awesome success with a gorillapod (the beefiest model) holding a remote flash on a sailboat all day long. If the gorillapod load is well-balanced and you don't ask it for height (i.e. it's almost as low as it can go) or you're just looking for a small edge beyond handholdability), I'd be OK with it. If you were going to hang the camera on a branch, I'd hang it under the branch (if it's atop the branch and it starts to go, it'll pick up speed as it falls and perhaps have enough momentum to flex free) and find a way to safety it, either through a detachable neck strap, a safety cable, or perhaps just running the neck strap over the branch and clipping it back to itself.

Here's a sample of the gorillapod holding a flash just out of view on the boat:

The gorillapod was wrapped around a nearly-horizontal pipe (the 'bimini' or sunshade that's in portions of the image) and held the flash horizontal (i.e. it had a lot of 'twisting' forces) for hours. Canon 580EX II flash hung, 580EX II as trigger, 1D Mark III with 16-35/2.8 (that needs to go in the shop) at f/4, 1/2500 at ISO 100; ambient at -2/3EC.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Take the plunge and buy a Gitzo then you won't have to buy another tripod for years and years to come....otherwise, you will just be wasting money buying a cheap tripod and having to change it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters
    You might want to try the flexible gripping tripod from Maxsaver.

(I hope the thread starter doesn't mind this small topic diversion!)

Sean, have you bought anything else from Maxsaver? I just had a look at their site and they seem to have a tripod ring for the 70-200 f4 for under $13 (the Canon one costs $130 or so). Is it worth giving it a shot? The investment is quite small.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by hotsecretary

I currently have a 40D, but the 5D
    is most likely my next upgrade. But the 40D is just under 2lbs.. so I
    guess something that'll support 5lbs+ no problem. Is the Manfrotto
    055XPROB a good one for something like this?

The
    055xprob is an excellent tripod in my opinion. Also have the 190xprob
    which is the same design just a little shorter/lighter and cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Printezis
    Sean, have you bought anything else from Maxsaver? I just had a look at their site and they seem to have a tripod ring for the 70-200 f4 for under $13 (the Canon one costs $130 or so). Is it worth giving it a shot? The investment is quite small.

Actually, I have not purchased anything else from Maxsaver. However, a few members of this community have purchased filters from the site and have been happy. They seem to deliver what they promise. As you noted, even if it doesn't live up to your standards, you wouldn't be losing much. However, if it works,you'll savea bundle. If it were me, I'd give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters
    Actually, I have not purchased anything else from Maxsaver. However, a few members of this community have purchased filters from the site and have been happy. They seem to deliver what they promise. As you noted, even if it doesn't live up to your standards, you wouldn't be losing much. However, if it works,you'll savea bundle. If it were me, I'd give it a shot.

Hi Sean. Yes, I placed the order yesterday (and I also got a couple of the gorilla-pod-like flexi tripods, as they were cheap). The S&amp;H on that site is real high, about 60% of the (modest) order. But it's still much cheaper than getting the genuine stuff, so hopefully it will be worth it! Thanks.

Tony