Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Automatic lens corrections - how often do you use them?

Re: Automatic lens corrections - how often do you use them?

RAD! My 17-55 is probably my most used lens. Good buy.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Is DPP meant to have settings for lenses pre-set?

Theres a section of the LR/Lens editing tab that I don

Quote Originally Posted by ham
    Is DPP meant to have settings for lenses pre-set?
    <div>

Yes, DPP incorporates lens-specific corrections. What version of DPP are you using?

For a RAW file on the NR/Lens/ALO tab, you should have access to the ALO checkbox and slider, the RAW luminance and chrominance NR sliders (but not the TIFF/JPG NR sliders), and the lens corrections. To modify any of the lens corrections (including turning them on and off), you need to click the Tune button, which should bring up a dialog box with checkboxes for each of the corrections, ways to modify them if appropriate, and a viewer window with magnified area for correction preview.

Quote Originally Posted by cls
    In my opinion ACR:s default lens correction profile for EF-S 10-22 over-compensated for vignetting - the corners were brighter than the center of a blue sky. I made an own profile with slightly less compensation.

As I understand it, ACR's lens profiles are often submitted by users. So, the 'default lens correction profile for the EF-S 10-22' might have been created by Tom in Topeka, Seamus in Shannon, or Giuseppe in Genoa, and you have no idea if they did it properly. Vignetting correction, for example, requires even illumination (yes, the Adobe FAQ says that it doesn't, but it goes on to say, "...a more evenly illuminated lighting would only help to get a more consistent vignette estimation result," which to me, means even illumination is required). I suspect most people who try to make a lens profile light the charts with one or more lights mostly aimed at the center of the chart - a consequence of that 'center weighting' is that it exaggerates the light fall-off at the periphery. Thus, a correction profile would tend to overcompensate for vignetting, which is exactly what you're seeing.

The inconsistencies in user-submitted profiles is one reason I prefer DxO as a RAW converter - DxO bases their lens corrections on analytical testing under controlled lab conditions, and also provides corrections for specific combinations of camera + lens.
    </div>

I

I have 3.4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by ham

I have 3.4.1.1

The current version is 3.10.1 - so, you're many updates behind. Version 3.4 was released in early 2008, before the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens, which is why there are no corrections available for those images.

I'm not sure how you managed to download such an old version from Canon UK, but here are the Canon UK links for the current version for Windows and Mac OS X.

I have no idea either. Thank-you very much indeed.