Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wallet full of $1 bills...

Re: Wallet full of $1 bills...

Hey Ben,

nice decision you have to make here []

I have recently shot 2 ice-skating events. One time I borrowed my friends 200mmL 2.8 and shot the entire thing at f4. The second time I had my own 70-200 F4L IS.

Honestly I thought it would be a lot better since I would be much more versatile with a zoom. Well, that's also the down-side I see now. The shots that I've made with the prime are much tighter and better composed, whereas with the zoom I think I got lazy and didn't dare or was to slow to compose tighter. It caused me a big increase of post-processing time.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is that the 85mm might sounds bad for certain circumstances because of the versatility. It might be more versatile than you'd think. Also for the candid-shots at weddings I love the fact that I can use my 50mm f1.4 and don't need a flash to shoot indoors. It gives very nice natural lighting and most of the time people are too busy to notice you. I think the 85mm would be a great candid-lens.

The 70-200 would be a little bit better than the 70-200 f4L IS that you have right now. Personally I don't need the F2.8 aperture, but that 1 stop of light could make the difference. It is a nice lens, but it's also a BIG lens, which would make candid-shots a little harder on you. Plus indoors even f2.8 often doesn't take it without a flash.

On the other hand it would be a great lens also to shoot some motorcross. However f4 would probably work most of the time as well.

The Sigma is really cool. I have used it for like half an hour, but it was nice. Very wide and much better than a fish-eye if you ask me. The distortion is also very limited. I was expecting the Canon 17-40 to outperform the Sigma, but in the end it was the other way around. It does have a mig front-element which can't be protected by a filter. That might be a bad thing.

Since we don't have really wide views out here, 12mm wasn't useful to me. 24mm is wide enough on 9/10 occasions for me.

Oh and I think the Sigma can also do some crazy motorcross photos. It gives you a crazy wide perspective. Very cool.

What about the Canon 85mm f1.8 by the way? You could buy that one and combine it with the Sigma.... Or the Sigma 85mm 1.4? etc etc...

Good luck chosing,

Jan

Hi Ben,

My first thought is that you need to change those $1's for some larger bills. [:P]

Regarding the lens choice, I can't speak for the Sigma, but you can't go wrong with either the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II or the 85mm f/1.2L II lenses - personally, I love them both! The 85L is an amazing portrait lens, IMO. The 70-200mm is an excellent and versatile event lens. I suspect you'd get more use out of the 70-200mm, while the 85L would allow you to take some pics that would 'pop'.

Would trading your f/4 for the f/2.8 II leave enough in your budget for the Sigma 85mm f/1.4? I know it would leave enough for the 85mm f/1.8 (also excellent, but I never used it on a 5DII).

One observation is that you don't have a fast prime in your kit, and I really think you should. Just my 2¢.

Good luck with your decision!

--John

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor
    I guess I'm actually searching for excuses NOT to buy the 85mm f/1.2 due to the cost of it, and the fact that it has it's shortcomings as well with it's slowish autofocus (I know I'm clutching at straws here). Whereas the 70-200 II looks like a pretty "spot on" lens that will last the test of time.

Ben, you stated your reasons.

Your words earlier "However, I've found that shooting weddings has somewhat taken the enjoyment out of my photography"

You asked which to buy the 70-200mm F2.8 or the 85mm F1.2. Honestly it is which ever you want to play with because you already said you were wanting to buy another lens to do other things other than weddings. Those two lens are the best of the best at what they do. The 70-200mm would take less out of pocket money since you would trade your other 70-200 off. Either one will serve you at weddings, which will be the most. Choose the one that is fun.

I like Neuro's comment as well. You're kit is lacking a fast prime. For pure enjoyment I would rather have a good L series fast prime than any of the lenses you suggested. I would go that route before I would buy the Sigma.

Good Luck

Rick

Hmmmm some good advice here. It
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Just ordered the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II contrary to some of the advice I got from you guys. Don
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor
    Just ordered the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

Congrats! Enjoy it - it's a great lens...