Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adventures with Camera? 50 miles! Camera gear in the Elements?

Re: Adventures with Camera? 50 miles! Camera gear in the Elements?

Sit back and think for a moment[]....Will you be carrying the cameramore than using it? If so, leave the DSLR home and bring a Point & Shoot.

I've taken my Rebel XTi and kit lens hung around my neck on several 160-mile bike rides. Zoom wide, aim, shoot, check screen for general verification, maybe zoom in a bit, shoot a few more, keep riding. I love what I come home with. Used to do this with my Minolta 7D and an 18-70 I think. Rebel samples at http://photos.templin.org/gallery/2007ATLms150 and Minolta samples at http://photos.templin.org/gallery/2007PADms150.

Biggest suggestion I have: use Canon batteries, and take more than enough. First time I tried taking the Minolta, battery died at lunch. Funny, that camera quickly became HEAVY when it was useless until the overnight (where I could get more batteries).
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Are you going out to Philmont Scout Ranch for this trip?

omg yes i am lol i am a scout and my brther has done it with my dad yes im glad you have heard of it []

Heard of it. Heck I hiked out there when i was you age. The group of us that went out made some sight seeing tours first. I had a great time out there and still would love to go back. I say bring a point and shoot because when you're talking the amount of distance and time to be covered while out at Philmont any extra weight will be a burden to you. Your guide will tell you what to bring and what to leave behind for the trek and believe me you wont be carrying half of what you think you may.

As for how to keep it dry I used 1 gallon freezer bags for all my gear. If your pack does get wet this way the gear inside stays dry.When i was out there the rain came everyday and only lasted for 10-20 mins then dried up. One last thing I will say is get a pack cover if you dont have one already, this one peice of gear is invalueable when out there. Have fun and remember to post the photos later this year after you get back.

yea thanks i alredy have a pack cover. i have already done backpacking before. Thats cool my brother went with my dad two years ago and loved it