Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CANON SLR SELECTION -PLEASE HELP THE GIRL WITH OCD!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: CANON SLR SELECTION -PLEASE HELP THE GIRL WITH OCD!

I agree with most of whats being said here. Your glass collection isn't very extensive, and getting a full frame camera would mean dropping big money on more glass on top of an already expensive body. Since you like candid shots, the reach you get with a crop body might suit your needs more.

The best advice I can give you, however, is to get yourself into a camera shop and get your optionsin your hands. You can read reviews until you are blue in the face like you said, but it all makes a little more sense when you have had some "tangible" experience with your choices.

end my two cents.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Amanda,

I agree with Don that, based on your two posts and what I see in your albums, you need to just buy a 40D and be done with it. It offers 10.1 MP resolution, it is already a crop body so it makes your existing lenses more portrait-friendly, it is compatible with the EF-S lens you already own, and it can shoot at 6+ frames per second.

Amanda,

I go through what you are describing as an OCD
    characteristic with just about every major purchase and a good DSLR with
    lenses certainly fits into that category. With the Internets online
    and cavernous library of opinions and reviews you can get caught up in "analysis paralysis" pretty fast. This site with Bryan's in-depth reviews is about the best place I've found. The Discussion forum is no where near as active as say "Photography On The Net", but it is getting going and has people that are very knowledgeable and friendly.

I'd of loved to have purchased L-series glass all the way, but in reality my budget just could not afford it and I have yet to own even one of those prized lenses. I've used Bryan's reviews here and his excellent lens tests to help me make decisions about equipment I can afford and have not regretted it thus far. When caught up reading a gazillion opinions don't forget to also face the question "what kind of photographer am I and what do I really need"? The answer to that question will help steer you toward equipment decisions and also may save you some mis-investments.

One video tool that I have enjoyed and wish I had watched before buying an ounce of equipment comes from a professional photographer who is very gifted at putting photography in easy to understand terms. His name is Michael Andrew, you can sample his lessons online and if you desire buy DVD lessons from his store. I don't know where you are in your photography skills, but you may want to check out his website. I am not affiliated with him, but do own a 40D and his lessons on that camera were very useful to me. He also has lessons in using Photoshop for post production that have been very helpful to me.

http://www.michaelthementor.com/index.html

Rick

Long story short, get some new lenses first. If that doesn't solve your goals, then consider upgrading the body. For you, I'd suggest going one step at a time, to a two-digit model. When people say to me "I just don't understand all of these camera models", I break it down like this:

Four-digit (1000D aka Rebel XS, 2000D likely to follow soon): 1.6x crop factor, entry-level model.

Three-digit (450D aka Rebel XSi, 500D aka Rebel T1i): 1.6x crop factor, consumer model.

Two-digit (40D, 50D): 1.6x crop factor, prosumer model.

One-digit, 2 through 9 (5D, 5D Mark II): pro model, perhaps a "studio" camera. 5D variations are all 1.0x crop factor.

1D series (1D Mark III, 1Ds Mark III): pro model, built to be used. 1D series is 1.3x crop factor, 1Ds series is 1.0x crop factor.

Try starting with a 35/1.4, an 85/1.2, or maybe a 50/1.4 or 50/1.2 lens. See what those can do on your camera. Then go for a 50D (I pick the 50D over a 40D for a functionality standpoint, as I don't think it brings much if any improvement in picture quality) if you feel that a camera improvement is warranted.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.