Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New DSLR owner having problems

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: New DSLR owner having problems

You all are awesome. Thanks so much for the advice and encouragment!

Dave,

As a new SLR user you may benefit from checking out some of my digital rebel guides at www.learnslr.com

hopefully these will help you a bit!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eisenberg

I'll be posting a thread soon for kit lens photos only. You'll be able to so what can be done with the great equipment you already own!
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I look forward to seeing this. It would be quite useful for beginners!

One of the big differences between a DSLR and a digicam (assuming that's what you upgraded from) is the depth of field. This makes focus more important at the large apertures available for DSLR (even f/5.6 requires attention to the focus). Another big diference is Phase Detect autofocus systems, which is very different from the Contrast Detect autofocus on a digicam. I think the advice you've already gotten combined with more practice will help you greatly. Just keep at it and soon enough your shots will come out much better.

Being pretty new to the DSLR thing I feel your pain. I was initialy slightly disapointed.

I have an XSi and replaced the kit lense witha Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. I've had alot better results with it and my 50mm f/1.8. Try to learn to change the focus points while looking though the view finder. I try to focus on the eyes. I also take lots of shots in the hopes a good one will be more likely. I avoid the use of a flash even though I've got the EX430.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead5811

I avoid the use of a flash even though I've got the EX430.

I would like to avoid the flash too, but indoors I simply can't stop a 20-month old. So, I think I'm going to pick up the 50mm f/1.4 and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by davideglasgow

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead5811

I avoid the use of a flash even though I've got the EX430.

I would like to avoid the flash too, but indoors I simply can't stop a 20-month old. So, I think I'm going to pick up the 50mm f/1.4 and go from there.
    Why are we avoiding the flash?

To me, it seems the on-board flash gives the picture an unnatural "washed-out" look. Then again, I am an admitted beginner. But I also know people use alternative flash methods for a reason. I prefer ambient light. The only problem is, I don't have a lens that can effectively use it indoors most of the time.

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]DO NOT GET A 50MM LENS, on a 1.6 crop it becomes an 80mm and for indoor shots of the family way to long, my favourite lens would be a 28mm (at 1.6x =45mm).<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] The 1.8 is a very nice lens, but I use the 2.8 and it is great. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]P.S. (Please excuse those people that are asking you to sell a kidney to get a lens, it seems some people just like to show-off.)