Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Expensive" becomes relative to a serious camera buff...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: "Expensive" becomes relative to a serious camera buff...

Anyhobby, if taken seriously, costs money. So if you're serious about photography it's nothing wrongwhen dropping thousand of bucks on equipments.

I often don't understand why my friend spends 2 grands on rims for their car while the stock ones would do justfine.On the other handhe justdoesn'tunderstand why Ispend the same amount of money ona big old camera with a gigantic lens.

I opted for the new bike last year....custom Ti roadie that cost more than my new '74 TR6. I just didn't feel comfortable about spending that much on the 500 f4 IS.

Funny part is when talking to friends, they didn't blink at the cost of the bike, but when I mentioned the lens and its cost....the expressions and comments were of incredulous disbelief.

I put 3k on the bike in the first season......I wonder how many photos I'd have w/the 500 in the same time frame?

Hmm, 70-200 f4 IS or 70-200 f2.8 IS?

It is a disease with expensive cures that aren't permanent.

Regards

Bill

We all probably suffer with the "L" disease. Not curable, but is put in remission with the purchase of more glass.[*-)]

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W
    Funny part is when talking to friends, they didn't blink at the cost of the bike, but when I mentioned the lens and its cost....the expressions and comments were of incredulous disbelief.

Same thing with me! "Yeah, I just dropped $2600 for that MacBook Pro". "Oh, me? I bought some camera lenses". "What?!""

It's all about priorities. My friends will spend >$1800 for computers, iPods, clothing... etc. But when I tell them about a lens that costs $1800, they think I'm nuts.

Maybe I should show them the 1200 f/5.6 L. That'll show them. []

Quote Originally Posted by alexniedra

It's all about priorities. My friends will spend >$1800 for computers, iPods, clothing... etc. But when I tell them about a lens that costs $1800, they think I'm nuts.
    <p style="CLEAR: both"]
    <p style="CLEAR: both"]I don't even discuss my purchases with anyone who's not into photography. They just don't get it! You're so right though. I have a friend who buys a new $500 driver (golf) every season but if he knew it would take two of them to pay for my EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS he would call me crazy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

I don't even discuss my purchases with anyone who's not into photography. They just don't get it! You're so right though. I have a friend who buys a new $500 driver (golf) every season but if he knew it would take two of them to pay for my EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS he would call me crazy!!!

I think that's the way to go. They just don't understand us []

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana;"]In my family it is practically a sin to sell a firearm. As a former Marine and shooting enthusiast I find myself literally emotionally attached to them. So, when I tell you I sold my Smith and Wesson .500 to buy photography equipment it should state allot.I have other interest in life but can only grudgingly bring myself to spend any money on them now.<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana;"]I have buddies who spend thousands on a custom rifle and over a thousand on glass (a scope) to go on it. They think I'm nutty for planning to get a $1600.00 lens. These same guys shoot nothing but paper with their expensive rifles. They don't even hunt! I've got some fine rifles myself from my bacheloryearsbut find myself thinking: Hmmm...if I sold this one I could get a 5D MII a nice lens... Or if I sold that one it could be my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS... I'm still sick about the .500.

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana;"]Why could I not have gotten into photograph when I was single and had the cash to spare?

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana;"]YES, it is an illness, no doubt. [:S]
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Every time I look at Canon L lens and read the reviews, I want it. Latest is 70-200 2.8 L IS $l600. Not just yet!!!!

It's a sickness OK, but a good one, when you see the results..............

Like everyone else, I spend lots on nice Canon stuff. How I justify it is that it's the equivalent to other people buying boats, 4x4's, campers, snowmobiles, cabins at the lake, etc. (One of my buddies who has a 4x4, camper, and boat is getting bitten by the photo bug after seeing results of my stuff. He has a Rebel XT, just got his second L lens, and now wants a better body.)

I went even further; Selling items from the last hobby to pay for this hobby; selling two pistols to buy the Tokina 12-24, and a 100 year old Savage 99 in the scariest of avaible calibers for the 100-400.

Oh Well. I shoot more with the new lens, than with the old guns.

Guess it is nothing new, I have 4 Canon film camera too.