Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new super telephoto lenses???

Re: new super telephoto lenses???

The 500mm is the best for my needs guys. 600 f/4 and 400 f/2,8 are also as good as the 500f/4 but the packet that 500 offers is the best for me (reach, weight, sharpness...). So it's my only choise for now. The problem is the chance of the new version to be released soon...Otherwise, i i'll go for it...and i think that's what i will do...

One more question, with the 1,4 extender on, the IQ will be better than my results now with the 400 f/5,6 and 100-400??

Quote Originally Posted by George Spiridakis
    One more question, with the 1,4 extender on, the IQ will be better than my results now with the 400 f/5,6 and 100-400??

Oh yeah. The superteles are built to be used with extenders. In fact, if you're asking this question I'm not sure if you're ready for a 500!

Does anyone knows when Canon will produce it's new super telephoto lenses? (the new 300 f/2,8 400 f/2,8 400f/4 500 f/4 600 f/4).
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Let me explain it this way: nobody outside Canon knows when they'll release new lenses, other than the lenses we all know about. When Canon wants us to know about it, we'll know about it. Until then, it's all about the rumors site someone else posted.

If they come out with a new lens, it'll be significantly more expensive. The older model will likely hold most of its value for a while.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Some new rumor for what its worth:

Big White Lenses
    <span>We&rsquo;ve heard before some big white lenses will be tested at the World Cup in South Africa. There&rsquo;s another suggestion that we won&rsquo;t see any new models for consumption until 2011.

<span>I&rsquo;ve also heard Photokina in September still may be the place to showoff at least 1 new big white lens.The 600 DOperhaps?

No and maybe. Check Bryan's reviews to come to your own conclusions about this kind of question (look here to compare 500 + extender with the 400 5.6 prime and here for 500 + extender compared to the zoom), but as a rule I think it is too much to expect any lens + extender to compete with a good prime like the 400 f/5.6 native (maybe the 200 f/2... maybe). The 500 + extender will probably do about as well as the 100-400 zoom, though (after looking, it seems to me the zoom looks better in the center, the 500 + extender better in the corners).

Canon usually does not release a new lens unless there is a compelling reason. They make a huge profit on the super telephoto lenses, since development and tooling are long ago paid off.

Don't count on seeing them in the next 5 years, unless Nikon makes something remarkably better.

It is possible that a long DO lens might appear, but if so, it will set a new record for high price.