Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Groaning gyros

Re: Groaning gyros

<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]Thank you all for your replies. My lens is now in the hands of the experts [] When the lens was on the camera and it was making the noise the image through the view finder would jump constantly, a few times every second. Towards the end I kept getting read errors, incompatible lens and stuff, an X would come up then it would freeze.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]The diagnosis was first done by the shop where I bought it, they are reputable as far as I&rsquo;m concerned, but who really knows and now it is with Canon <st1:country-region><st1lace>Australia</st1lace></st1:country-region> in <st1:city><st1lace>Melbourne</st1lace></st1:city>.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<o><span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]The noise it makes was like a chick chick chick chick chick, several times every second at least, it wouldn&rsquo;t change no matter what I tried, sometimes it would stop when wound out to 105, and sometimes it wouldn&rsquo;t.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] As I said before I would have to be the most gentle on my equipment, and hence why it ticks me off even more to happen to a four month old lens.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<o><span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]I will keep you updated when it comes back.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Thank again
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Scott
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]So far I'm up to seventy bucks in postage and insurance, just to top it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott

<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]So far I'm up to seventy bucks in postage and insurance, just to top it off.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

For what it's worth, I have my camera gear insured through a Valuable Personal Property rider. As a result, I don't insure it during shipping. I figure why double-insure it? The premium is roughly 1.5% (annually) the value of the gear. Assuming US dollars, that lens is about $1200, so insurance would be $18/year. If you paid that much to insure the shipment, you're better off insuring it for the whole year for the same amount of money (if you can get similar coverage).
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

[]Thanks Peety3 I'll have a look into that and see if I can get something similar over here. I miss my lens []

UPDATE

Just to let you know I have heard from Canon Australia. They are waiting on parts to arrive from Japan, no diagnosis what the problem is as yet,just waiting. A lens that is less then 6 months old you would think they would give me a new one, but no it is going to be fixed. Expected to be back by late January, are the States and other places this bad or is it just Australia. I am just about done with the whole experience. I'm nervous at the thought of buying another L lens.

Scott

Good thing this is not my lens or Canon would have a ear-full!

John.

(I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea - being without one's gear really sucks, and I don't wish it on anyone. I'm about to send my 1D3 body back to Canon for its fourth visit, as the 'Error 30' messages are getting too frequent to ignore. It has to wait until my fiance's 40D/grip goes back for a return repair, as the grip is now unusable for shooting.)

Disclaimer out of the way, I suggest each of you read the warranty that came with your equipment. If you do so, you'll most likely find that there's no guarantee of functionality or availability, no promise of repair turnaround, etc. You'd be welcome to give Canon an earful, but there's little that could or would come of it, aside from being labeled internally as a squeaky wheel. It's the reason that I suggest that people keep old gear as spares, etc.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3
    You'd be welcome to give Canon an earful, but there's little that could or would come of it, aside from being labeled internally as a squeaky wheel.

Yeah I probably would not do it in real life, but Isure feel liketo somtimes. But if someone gives an atitude atCanonwatch out![]

John.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3
    It has to wait until my fiance's 40D/grip goes back for a return repair, as the grip is now unusable for shooting
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>
    I have always remembered you referring to her as your girlfriend. Congratulations :-)

Trust me guys I am fu*%ing done with this bull s&amp;#t. I am about to convert to Nikon, well maybe not, but hello this is a joke. I have spent more money with Canon them I care to remember and yes a copy has gone to them, nicely though, but what can I do, they have you over a barrel. Just have to play the game. Thanks for letting me vent. Have I mentioned before how much I miss my L, yes, yes I have. bugger.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott

Trust me guys I am fu*%ing done with this bull s&amp;#t. I am about to convert to Nikon, well maybe not, but hello this is a joke. I have spent more money with Canon them I care to remember and yes a copy has gone to them, nicely though, but what can I do, they have you over a barrel. Just have to play the game. Thanks for letting me vent. Have I mentioned before how much I miss my L, yes, yes I have. bugger.

I'm sure you miss your L. I missed my $4500 "professional" camera when it went in for the AF "repair" - that was tough, as the camera didn't focus that well, the "problem" had been identified, but we all had to wait our turn before we could send it in for repair. When we got the call to send it in, nobody knew what would happen if we didn't send it in right away (would we lose our place in line, etc.), and nobody knew how long it would take to repair. I missed it again when I sent it in for "abnormal mirror operation" - random Error 99s that were slowly getting more frequent. Imagine my surprise when it came back and only shot 16 frames before it became useless as a brick - it wouldn't take a single shot, just error out every time. (Here's the kicker: if it goes back for a "return repair", it gets checked by a supervisor before the work is completed, and checked by a supervisor after the work is completed, so it takes longer than a normal repair!) And now it's going back for what I suspect to be a shutter problem.

I know it's a tough situation, but ask yourself this: is it any different than with any other piece of consumer electronics, other than the price tag you paid? The main difference I see is that consumer electronics are often throwaway, whereas the value of the lens makes it a fair candidate for repair. And with that said, would Nikon (or Sony, Olympus, etc.) be any better if/when something breaks? If so, then by all means it's probably time to switch.