Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1Dx full Res images

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle View Post
    If I didn't have so much $$$ tied up in Canon lenses, I think would get a D800 without hesitation.
    I know how you feel, although I'm getting over it, a bit. How would you replace your MP-E 65mm?

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I know how you feel, although I'm getting over it, a bit. How would you replace your MP-E 65mm?
    Fair point. And there are other canon lenses, like the 85 f/1.2, 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, and 35 f/1.4, that I would not want to part with.

And yet, it is very hard to argue with a reasonably priced 36mp full frame camera with a killer autofocus (not to mention noise and dynamic range that are surely far superior to canon). The 5DII seems almost like a joke by comparison.

If only the 'E' in D800E stood for EOS mount. They'd be rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle View Post
    Fair point. And there are other canon lenses, like the 85 f/1.2, 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, and 35 f/1.4, that I would not want to part with.

And yet, it is very hard to argue with a reasonably priced 36mp full frame camera with a killer autofocus (not to mention noise and dynamic range that are surely far superior to canon). The 5DII seems almost like a joke by comparison.
    Personally, I plan to wait and see how Canon answers. The only need I see for higher MP - for me, that is - is for cropping, specifically enough MP so I no longer need APS-C when I'm focal length-limited.

I was planning to get the 1D X. My hope now is that, contrary to my earlier opinion that Canon would cripple the 5DIII to differentiate it from the 1D X, the D800 will push Canon to up the spec of the 5DIII (i.e. select the best from their range of prototypes). 12 fps would be nice, but I can live without it. A 5DIII with the 1D X's AF, 18 or more MP, and 5 fps, selling for $3K, and I'd strongly consider that over the 1D X, and putting the balance to a supertele. Ok, John, 1D X AF in a 5-series? Back to reality. Still, there's hope, right?

The only need I see for higher MP - for me, that is - is for cropping, specifically enough MP so I no longer need APS-C when I'm focal length-limited
    But that's a biggie- get the best of both worlds with one camera.

Ok, John, 1D X AF in a 5-series? Back to reality. Still, there's hope, right?
    If canon wants to compete with Nikon, I don't see that they have a choice. Or they could just put out a far inferior body and hope you and I and everyone else are to entrenched in Canon gear to switch. But you're right, before I part with my MP-E 65 and 85 f/1.2 et all, I should wait and see what they do. If they cripple the 5DIII to try and get me to pay $6000 for a 1Dx, then forget it.

I'm also interested to see how the next wave of canon cameras do with with noise and DR (more important to me than resolution or frame rate). If canon has not made up ground in these areas, the 5DIII will be a tough sell, even if it does have a great af.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    If only the 'E' in D800E stood for EOS mount. They'd be rich.
    I'd pre-order one of those in a flash!

Personally, I plan to wait and see how Canon answers. The only need I see for higher MP - for me, that is - is for cropping, specifically enough MP so I no longer need APS-C when I'm focal length-limited.
    We know how the 5D II cropped compares to the 7D, my experience with the 1D IV I think the IQ of the 1D IV crop would beat the 7D. Not long ago I was photographing my lionel trains, and I did quit a few sample pics. Of course it wasn't scientific, it was first me doing comparisons then enlisting my family to pick photos. In all the combinations I tried, which were mainly variations of lens and distance to get the exact same framing, it was a 50/50 split between the 5D II and 1D IV. I say this because, I would bet that the new 1D X you will be able to crop and get IQ better than the 7D's. Then of course along comes the 7D II .

From the sample pictures that Canon posted, and the more I have thought about this, I am wondering if the true intent of the 1D X is a replacement for the 1D IV and the 1D X is meant to be an action camera first and can do other things well. 4 of the 6 photos were action shots, and not one landscape. Maybe that should tell us something. There is another camera on the horizon?

As for the D800, in today's world of corporate spies, isn't it possible a 5D III that matches the D800 specs is in the wings ready to go. Nikon just beat Canon to the punch, but if that is the case which company is playing keep up and which is the leader. If we do not see a response from Canon rather quickly it will appear it is Nikon.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 02-09-2012 at 02:33 AM.

I hope I don't change teams, but a D800, a 21mm and now that I have thought some more about it and an 85mm, would be a good combination for studio and landscape.
    C'mon 5DMK3 or 5Dx, save us all some pain and dollars to avoid a team change or a 1 series body.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Well, with the MP-E on a Nikon body, you could just use any thickness adapter, no need to focus to infinity, it's already a macro lens, right?

Only problem is that you're stuck wide-open because a nikon can't make the EF Electronic aperture stop-down. But problem solved again, just keep a 1000D or any old cheap (even eos-film) body handy, connect it up, use the dof-preview button to stop the lens down, disconnect it from the canon-body, attach it to the nikon-body, focus on live-view, and snap away those lovely 5x-magnification 36MP macros...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Senior Member francongphotography's Avatar
    oh man...well I still got faith in Canon, I'm sure they'll come up with something to compete with Nikon! Don't give up all your hope and equipment of Canon now just because of a new Nikon body!
    Canon 5D Mk II, 550D/T2i, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm f/2.8 L USM, 17-40mm f/4 L USM, 24-105mm f/4 L USM, 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM, 320EX speedlite

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/franco_ng/