Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My filter(s)'s fogging up my images!

Franco; you said you bought “cheap” filters and “stack three filters”.
    I think you kind of exposed the problem.

I bought some of the cheap Cokin’s the same time I bought my Sing-Ray filters. I looked the Cokin’s over and packed them right back up and shipped them back to B&H. I could easily see they just weren't the quality I wanted. I agree with you, this type of filter is really convenient and IMO it is really the way to go vs. the screwed in type.

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    One of the problems with the square (or rectangular) filters and holder is you can not use your lens hood which can be a problem with glare, and I like the front element protection the hood provides. However, I do use them for the grad ND's, but nothing else.
    This has bothered me to. That is why I am thinking about getting one of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Lens_Hood.html

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    This has bothered me to. That is why I am thinking about getting one of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Lens_Hood.html
    I have seen that and have wondered how robust they are. From the picture it looks like an accordian style that I would end up breaking to easy, but I never really checked into (who knows, maybe it is built like a brick). If you get one, let me know if it is a sturdy hood.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

@conropl, it is on my list, but not at the top of my list yet. Maybe later this spring or summer when I go on vacation it will make it to the top, where I live it is hard for me to get landscape motivated. I need a mission to push me over the edge.

Looking at the videos on Lee’s website it appears it is an accordion style and is flexible.

Marumi makes generally well received filters. I would recommend getting the DHG series.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by francongphotography View Post
    I've taken quite a lot of shots with my ND filters, mainly for landscapes.. The IQ, do indeed degrade when I stack 3 filters for that 13 stops of slower exposure..but when I use only one filter at a time, the filter only affects the IQ by a little. Not as much as when I stack up the filters..just really lacked sharpness and the images appear really soft..kinda goes along with that dreamy water effect though

But I had to say, these square filters are really convenient...as I just need to buy different thread sizes for my lenses and screw on the filter holder and be ready for the shot. Saving loads of money from buying different sizes of circular filters for my lenses.