Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to take on an all day nature hike?

Re: What to take on an all day nature hike?

Wow! Am I glad I posted this! You have gotten me thinking of stuff that never entered my head since my head was so wrapped around the photography! I mean you are talking to a complete city gal that never camped a day in her life nor spent an entire day hiking!

Jan - you do have me thinking about how much macro shooting will I really be doing? I am hoping I will be spending more time photographing birds I have never seen before! It

Have you got a mate going with you?
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Warning: be very careful with bugspray (deepwoods) it melts plastic could do some harm to your camera. So try not to get it on fingers and the palms of your hands.
    Canon 5DMII, 30D 17-40 L f/4.0, 24-70L f2.8, 70-200L IS f2.8, 400L f4.0-5.6, 24 tilt shift, 2x 600ex-RT

Quote Originally Posted by icanon

Warning: be very careful with bugspray (deepwoods) it melts plastic could do some harm to your camera. So try not to get it on fingers and the palms of your hands.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

WHAT!? SERIOUSLY?! [:|] I'm putting stuff on my skin that melts plastic!!!?? Now my daughter wants to go around the house experiementing since she just looked it up online! Since I didn't know how windy it would be with the spray, I also bought the kind that is a lotion! And all I thought I had to worry about was coming home with it on with the dogs around me!

What kind is recommended that doesn't melt plastic? I could return this stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U

Have you got a mate going with you?
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Yeah, I would never think of going this alone! When I saw someone posted photos online that they took and they were of muskrats &amp; bears &amp; wolves...that's when I became not so sure about this! I just want to see pretty birds! [:P]

That
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

I saw someone posted photos online that they took and they were of muskrats &amp; bears &amp; wolves...that's when I became not so sure about this!

A monopod can be a nice weapon to have with you. [:P]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U
    A rolled ankle at 4:00 pm when you still have a 3 mile "hike" back to the vehicle, makes you appreciate torches, $3.00 emergency blankets, compression bandages and mobile phones and so on.

LOL. Several years ago, my wife and I decided to take an 'all day nature hike' from the Yosemite valley floor up to the summit of Half Dome and back. 18 miles round trip from our camp site, and 4,800 feet (1460 m) of elevation gain. The hike up was great, but tiring, especially the cables. Picnic with a nice Nalgene bottle of red wine at the top, then the trip down. About 5 miles from camp and long past dark we'd had it - we did have torches (of flashlights as they're called here, 'torches' sets off fears of forest fires and now that I'm in New England, witch burnings), but no emergency blankets. So, we planted our backs against a rock face to sleep for a while...just before turning off our lights, we saw a gleam on the trail - which turned out to be a group of scorpions approaching. Adrenaline took us back to our tent, but the blisters took a few weeks to heal.

Sorry, Denise - have a great hike! [:#]

SCORPIONS!![:|]

My wonderful daughter just said to me, "Well, if all goes wrong you can give your own horror story"! Maybe I don't want to be out there at sunrise?!

I am going with one other person that doesn't know anymore about wilderness survival than I do and that person doesn't even like photography! I DO NOT want to see anything furry (I'm eventerrified of little mice), anything crawling or anything slithering unless it is a worm! I just want to see pretty birds! [:'(]

My oldest daughter is the outdoorsy type and has gone mountain climbing up Mt. Rainerand come home all battered up, she camps and comes home with all bug bites. Man, this sounds like heaps of fun! [8-)] Boating and fishing is more my thing!

Photography is opening up a whole new world for me!

DD, I don
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.