Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM or 85mm F/1.2L ................anybody have either?

Re: Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM or 85mm F/1.2L ................anybody have either?

Juza's reviews are sometimes useful, especially the head-to-head comparisons (his 1.6x crop UWA lens comparison is the only one of it's kind that I've seen!).

Many of his facts in the 85L review are inaccurate (for example, he states that it's weather-sealed when it technically isn't, although the opening image shows it being used in the rain, and he also states that it has micro-USM which is false, it simply uses a focus-by-wire system as opposed to mechanical coupling to actuate the ring-USM motor).

I liked the end-on view of the f/1.2L vs. the f/1.8 - WOW, that's a lot of glass!

Re: Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM or 85mm F/1.2L ................anybody have either?

Hereis another interesting comparison of Canon 85mm primes.

EDIT:

... And hereand here come the 50mm primes

I just rented the 85 f/1.2 for the weekend so I'll write up some of my impressions with some sample shots when I'm done with it. I'm using it on a 5d II and have my 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 is for my everyday work but this lens is really fun so far.

Quote Originally Posted by canon-ball

What do you guys think?

Portrait photography is in my future, what do you guys think is the better of the two in the long run?

anybody have any shots with either lens they can post?

decisions , decisions..

I'm in the same boat as you. Been contemplating between the two. I haven't tried the 85L. I did try the 50L & am not satisfied. I do have 85mm 1.8 but its on a different league with the 85 1.2L based on reviews & samples! I tried the Zeiss Planar 1.4/85 ZE but it suffers from focus shift. If you have the resources, grab the 85L & you wont look back with the photos it produces! But do remember that this glass is NOT weather-sealed & a delicate piece of equipment so don't drop it or that might cause misalignment of the elements inside. Most PROs use it studios most of the time ( i might be wrong!)....Don't you want to wait for a third party alternative??....the Sigma 85 1.4!

I would say the 85mm f/1.2, especially if you're using a FF camera. You never did say what camera you were using. I don't have either, but I've rented both, on more than one occasion and taken lots of photos with them. Below is a photo taken of my girlfriend using the 85mm f/1.2, and in the following post (don't know how to post more than one photo per post) you'll see a shot with the 50mm f/1.2. A single shot of each isn't really enough to truly show my case for one or the other though. Neither photo was taken under f/2. Anyhow, just giving you a couple sample shots as you've gotten many replies to your question but no photos. When I'm not sure about a lens, I check out Flickr's page and search for the lens to see sample shots. That give you "real-world" examples. Anyhow, here is the 85mm f/1.2 @ f/2.2, 1/3200 sec, ISO 250 (on a Canon 7D, natural lighting).

and here is the 50mm f/1.2 @ f/2, 1/2000 sec, ISO 320, also a 7D and natural lighting. Please note that I think both are very nice lenses, but the 85mm f/1.2 has the same or better bokeh I think and is sharper. In fact I hear the 50mm f/1.4 is actually sharper than the 1.2 at many apertures..... I own the 50mm f/1.4 and am quite happy, though I'd obviously rather have one of these L lenses if I could!

A bit off topic, but nice pictures Jordan! []