Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camera and lens selection help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    Is it potentially worth ordering from Canada? Lots of retailers with it for $2799.
    I think Canada requires retailers to charge tax on all sales, no matter where it's going, so you might have to pay as much as 13% tax, totally negating your savings. Plus your credit card may charge you a foreign transaction fee of something like 3%. You're welcome to look into it, with the current exchange rate, as long as you don't have to pay some huge tax you might save some money.

When I add it to my cart on McBain Camera and indicate I'm shipping to the U.S., it doesn't add tax to the order.

The 5DII + 24-105mm kit got even cheaper on Amazon! Now it's only $3019.

First, I just want to thank you all for the input. I picked up the 5D kit, I got it for 7% above cost, it ended up being a no brainer. Now I jut need to decide on my next 2 lenses and other gear.

Other gear? Definitely get a good tripod, preferably carbon fiber if you'll be traveling, and a good ballhead. Probably include a flash for indoor use. Lenses? Consider a telephoto zoom (70-200 series or 70-300 L), fast prime for portraits (85mm f/1.8, 135L), possibly an ultra wide zoom (17-40, 16-35), all depending on priority and budget.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Other gear? Definitely get a good tripod, preferably carbon fiber if you'll be traveling, and a good ballhead. Probably include a flash for indoor use. Lenses? Consider a telephoto zoom (70-200 series or 70-300 L), fast prime for portraits (85mm f/1.8, 135L), possibly an ultra wide zoom (17-40, 16-35), all depending on priority and budget.
    With all that new gear you should definately look at getting a bag/case to haul it all around...lots of options depending on your needs and personal preferences.

Stephen

I have budget for one more lens now. I am leaning towards the 85mm, I can afford the 16-35, but I'd rather not spend that much this week lol. I have to buy a tempurpedic bed this weekend too.

@theking love the strap, I will pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by drizzit View Post
    I have budget for one more lens now. I am leaning towards the 85mm, I can afford the 16-35, but I'd rather not spend that much this week lol. I have to buy a tempurpedic bed this weekend too.

@theking love the strap, I will pick it up.
    Are you talking about the 85mm F/1.2L? I would love to have one of those.

The 16-35mm L II is an awesome lens, it puts out very good IQ for a zoom. Your problem is you have half that range covered now. I would prefer the 16-35mm over the 24-105 at 24-35mm, but how much will that range matter to you? It sounds like you are getting two lenses that are closer to being similar than offering much more variety. I would suggest you shoot a while then decide what would be more important to you. I would also suggest if you want a wide lens consider one of the primes like the 24mm F1.4L instead of the 16-35mm and keep your 24-105mm to cover the rest of the range. You start seeing lens distortion around 21mm and at 16mm it will be very noticeable on a FF camera. I consider any thing that wide a specialty lens and you should know for sure why you want it before you get it.

If you have the money, think about the best of the best as far as zooms go, think about the 70-200mm F2.8L II IS. Personally I carry a few wide primes (35mm and 24mm) and then this as a zoom when I am walking around. With your 24-105 paired with the 70-200 you have a huge range covered then you can start picking up specialty lenses as you see you need them.

You are going to want a flash with the 24-105mm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...dlite_TTL.html

What are your thoughts on the 50mm 1.2?

Quote Originally Posted by drizzit View Post
    What are your thoughts on the 50mm 1.2?
    Some say it is soft because of the way it is made. I have never owned it, but wouldn't mind adding it to my collection.

I think the 85/1.8 if great for portraits. Had that before I got the 85mm f/1.2L II. On FF, I usually shoot at f/1.6-f/2.2 with the 85L. IMO, the 85/1.8 is one of the best values in the Canon lineup. Do get the hood, and if you plan to use it outdoors, you might want a 3-stop ND filter (B+W 103, 58mm $42 at B&H).

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I think the 85/1.8 if great for portraits.
    +1 for the 85 f/1.8. For the money ($400) it's hard to beat. The 85 f/1.2 is legendary and carries a legendary price tag too. For 1/5 the money, the f/1.8 is the right place to start. Plus its AF is much faster than the f/1.2, making it a good action lens when you can get close to the action. While I don't use it as often as other lenses, there's no real substitute for a fast prime when you need one. I find the 85 f/1.8 much more reliable (for wide aperture IQ and AF accuracy) than the 50 f/1.4.

There's also the suite of 70-__ L zooms, all of which have excellent IQ. My 70-300L spends more time on my 7D than any other lens.

Have fun!