Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time out with the 7D

Re: First time out with the 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Alan

Bob, what counts is that the shot looks good. And, if you're seeing it needs a -1/3 EC, then that's what is needed. Your shots look wonderful, by the way.

Thanks Alan I appreciate your comments, but you are 100% correct--here is Bryan's quote

" Also note that my 7D delivered exposures that are 1/3 stop darker than my compared-to bodies at the identical exposure settings in this test - thus the +1/3 EV examples. "

Now I am going togo back through my shots from yesterday (those that I haven't already deleted) and see if I can make sense of all of this----I can say this: of the four shots I posted, one was HDR, and one landscape was shot maually so they don't count, but both bird shots were exposed at -1/3 and and one landscape was exposed at -2/3rds.

Question for you and others---can camera body's differ in thier output as much as lenses can, i.e. good copy/bad copy?

Please forgive me, I don't mean to argue or justify my position--It's just that my "amatuer" findings were different than Bryans, so I am trying to understand it---all input/guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams

Question for you and others---can camera body's differ in thier output as much as lenses can, i.e. good copy/bad copy?
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Beats me, Bob. Someone more technical can hopefully answer this question.

Really? 800 ISO? I guess if the 7D has good grain management, that's ok. I wonder what the significance is. Did you prof explain?

Bob,

Great shots man! How you liking the 7D? I can't wait to pick mine up at the end of the week!
    I'll have to trade you video lessons for your photo lessons![]

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams

Ok, resurrected thread, I know, but it's an interesting (and unanswered) question. My guess would be no, camera bodies do not have the same copy-dependent output. Both cameras and lenses come off assembly lines, so yes, there will be variances and tolerances. The difference is that for a camera, the copy-to-copy differences are unlikely to have an optical effect, since just about everything in the camera that affects the quality of image capture is electronic (where tolerances are much tighter than for mechanical components or their assembly). The primary 'mechanical' effect, I think, would be positioning of the sensor relative to the lens mount (determining where the focal plane is relative to where it should be, by design) - and any variance there can be 'corrected' with AF Microadjustment on recent bodies. All of the metering systems, etc., are basically self-correcting (due to TTL measurements) with the camera's electronics. Lenses, on the other hand, have many more components that directly affect image formation. Optical elements may have small imperfections, be mis-angled or misaligned with one another, etc.

Just my 2&cent;.

--John

Mike, You have a deal
    Bob