Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Product photography Help!

Heck, I think I paid $2 for a basic ir remote. I bought 4 figuring they wouldn't last long. I'm on my second set of batteries from my first one!

Product photography is an interesting and challenging field. I do jewelry photography for a friend and have learned much in the year or so that I have done it. I would recommend getting the 60mm Macro for your 450D. I used the 100 and it was a little long unless you plan on shooting stuff on the floor. Earings it works well, but if you want full shots of things, might be wiser to go with the shorter focal length. Your 450D should be perfectly fine for these shots and even your kit lens might work great. As stated before, it will be stopped down and the quality isn't that much different once your around f/8. I would recommend getting some continuous lights with good modifiers for your lights and getting or building a table top setup if your shooting smaller things. I say continuous lights because you can see where the reflections and shadows are much easier than with strobes. I purchased a light tent and it serves me well, but is limiting most of the time. If you get a table top, you can go to your local craft store and get some white or reflective foam board to make good reflectors for what you need. Search google for some product photography tutorials and check you tube as most are very helpful getting started but trial and error is the best way to learn. I used a 7d, 50mm f/1.4 for these first shots at f/7.1 I believe. 100 macro for the last.

Last edited by Jayson; 03-09-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Jayson,

Wow, these are great shots! Do you have any shots showing your setup? I've been trying to get this same look with an umbrella, a reflector and 580EXIIs, and I end up blowing out the small details like the connecting links in a necklace, but the whites still aren't even white :-(

Thanks and great work.