Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Converting to primes - would love some opinions

Quote Originally Posted by FastGass View Post
    I understand your desiere for fast glass and I too use mostly manual focus primes, but one odd thing about them is if you use them at wide apertures (thats why you bought them right?) you are going to have less IQ than a zoom at f/2.8. So actually it lowered my standard of accetable sharpness rather then raising it.
    I agree with lowering your standard for acceptable sharpness when it helps you realize your vision. This quote comes to mind:

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept. - Ansel Adams"

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    The 14mm is so wide and has so much lens distortion
    Quote Originally Posted by btaylor View Post
    I agree that the 14mm is a bit of a specialty tool due to the amount of distortion
    I assume you guys are talking about perspective distortion?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Carnathan
    Distortion is also very well controlled with a little barrel distortion present at close focus distances
    Quote Originally Posted by photozone.de
    The EF 14mm II has a very good distortion characteristic for a lens in this class. It produces only a moderate degree of barrel distortion (~1.7%) which is usually nothing to worry about from a field perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson View Post

I assume you guys are talking about perspective distortion?

Yes, the distortion you would get from using such a wide lens.

Great topic Ben! I have thought about making the same decision myself numerous times. I really like the idea.
    For my situation I haven't really found the right solution yet. I keep running against financial dilemma's when looking at new prime gear
    Will definitely follow you on this decision.

In my though processes I have looked at the Samyang lenses as well. Especially the 14mm is very interesting. I wouldn't mind just buying one to see how it works out. Even if you have to sell it afterwards it wouldn't cost you much. A friend of mine has a Samyang fisheye(only for APS-C) and it's just a down to earth lens and well built. It does what it says and it does it pretty good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by FastGass View Post
    Now obvisouly if you stop down to f/2.8 you will get better IQ, but based on your (amazing) shots it doens't seem like you really needed a prime. How about getting the 24-70mm II? That thing promises prime IQ in a zoom package, which by what you shoot would make more sense.

If you want to shoot street photograhy then a 24mm f/1.4 or 35mm f/1.4 is a must and a 50mm f/1.4/f/1.2 would be nearly as usefull.

Cheers,
    John.
    I guess I was a little misleading in the pictures I posted as they don't entirely illustrate the "genre" of photography that makes the 24mm f/1.4L II peak my interst. I'm after the narrow DOF at wider focal lengths and low light benefits more so than IQ / sharpness. For me, the 24mm f/1.4L II appears sharp enough wide open or only slightly stopped down to keep me happy. I own the 24-70mm f/2.8L now and I find the IQ completely satisfactory, not mind blowing like the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II but certainly adequate, I just don't get the depth of field I desire out of f/2.8 at 24mm.

Street / candid photography would be the primary role of this lens so I think it's fitting in that respect. I had a look through the photos I've taken over the years with the 24-70mm and the majority were shot at 24mm.

Another reason I'm looking for a bit of change that I haven't touched on is the fact that I'm going to be travelling full time next year for... well... until the $$$ run out. So I'm also trying to make things a little more compact for travel. The 24-70mm is an absolute monster of a lens really, it does weight a tonne - and when it rarely gets used it's a lot of lens to carry around for the amount of use it gets. So the 24-70 II probably won't hit my shopping cart any time soon.

This is one point that's in the 17-40's favour though - it's a great little compact lens, just not quite wide enough to blow me away. It's also a point that doesn't favour the Samyang as it's got a fixed lens hood so it'll take up more space. The 24mm f/1.4 is about 300 grams lighter than the 24-70mm and it all adds up when you throw a gripped body, four or five lenses (one of them being the 70-200 f/2.8 II) and other bits and pieces in the bag.

I like yours and Mark's comments regarding sacrificing some IQ to get a desired result. That's a very fitting quote Mark.

I also like the concept of primes in that it can often force you to be more creative with composition. Rather than zooming in, you zoom with your feet. I've really enjoyed using the Sigma 85mm f/1.4, partly for this reason but mostly for its ability to isolate subjects.

@ Mark - yes, perspective distortion. I actually love it because it doesn't look like something you could just as easily achieve with a point and shoot. It separates images from the norm.

@ Jan - I'll certainly keep everyone updated if/when I make some changes and let you know my likes/dislikes about the new setup.

I suppose I'd really already made up my mind prior to starting this thread. I hadn't actually considered the Samyang (which I am seriously now) but as with most purchases it's always good to understand if you're heading in the right direction. I generates some interesting discussion nonetheless.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30