Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Burning a 24mm hole in my pocket

Re: Burning a 24mm hole in my pocket

The MP is not a good lens for handheld macro photography. Because it starts at 1.0x magnification (where all other Canon macro lenses stop) and goes all the way to 5.0x, you generally need a focus rail to mount the MP to (which is why it comes with a tripod ring).

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    although I don't think I can see a significant use for having both the 17-40mm and the 16-35mm
    <div>

I kept the 17-40mm largely because it let me carry fewer filters with me when I would do landscapes. I never bought a 82mm polarizer or ND filters. In 77mm, I have a polarizer and 4 different ND filters. Maybe it's a poor excuse to keep the lens, and I have thought about selling it. Especially if I did get the TS-E, then I'd probably invest in a few 82mm filters and there would be no reason to keep the 17-40mm. It just seems unfortunate that after eBay and PayPal fees, I'd be lucky to get $500 for the lens and I'd probably go and spend $400 on 82mm filters.

If you'll probably be using a flash in any case, the f/1.4 of the 24mm prime may not be much benefit.
    </div>

This is what I'm thinking... two stops of light would probably let me get away with no flash, but the ISO would still be unacceptably high.

I'll presume you intend to use the TS-E on your 5DII

Yep, it would primarily be on the 5DII. I suppose it could find use on the 7D if I wanted a ~35mm TS-E lens for some reason.
    - Trowski

I haven't tried the MP-E 65mm with the MT-24EX handheld yet. I'll give a try sometime in the next few days.

I gave it a quick try this morning, and the MP-E 65mm with the MT-24EX works decently for handheld shooting, with some patience and appropriate selection of subject (pick something with multiple interesting points of focus...or develop even more patience!). The following two shots were handheld. The first was on an outdoor tree (we mount one on the deck that we decorate with handmade, natural ornaments - dried orange slices, pinecones spread with nut butter and rolled in birdseed, etc). It was blowing in ~20 mph wind, so a tripod would not have been much help. The second was on the indoor tree - a close-up of patterned glitter on an ornament. Both are at 5x.

EOS 5D Mark II, MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro @ 5x, 1/60 s, f/14, ISO 400, MT-24EX

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-35-15/Ornament.jpg[/img]
    EOS 5D Mark II, MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro @ 5x, 1/60 s, f/14, ISO 400, MT-24EX

--John

Both are at 5x.

Ok John, I am impressed. As much as it is at 5x hand held, but even more so that it is a manual focus lens. Your hands are definitely more steady than mine, no way I could manual focus and get the shot.

Now I will be even more impressed if you tell me these were close to the minimum focus distance. The bottom might be, the top one looks like you were away from it a bit.

This lens is on my list to get in the near future, its not even one I have to decide if I should get or not. I will have it before long.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

As much as it is at 5x hand held, but even more so that it is a manual focus lens. Your hands are definitely more steady than mine, no way I could manual focus and get the shot.

Now I will be even more impressed if you tell me these were close to the minimum focus distance.

The MP-E 65mm is not a manual focus lens in the traditional sense. There's only one ring - and it both magnifies and changes the focus distance. So, you either hold the distance constant and turn the ring until you've got focus (changing magnification as you do), or set the magnification and move the camera back and forth until you've got the focus you want. For thses shots, I did the latter, rocking slightly backward/forward and pressing the shutter release at the right moment.

For thses shots, I did the latter, rocking slightly backward/forward and pressing the shutter release at the right moment.

When I saw your post, that was my first thought of how I would have done it as well. But still its very tuff to hit that right point, for me any way, I shake to much.

The OP was asking if a person could hand hold the MP-E 65mm. I know if comparing the 180mm L Macro with AF and no IS, I would tell someone Yes you can even without flash, but its not the best way to get the best pictures and that they would be better served hand held with the 100mm L IS. I would think with the 65mm it would even be harder to hand hold, but then I do not have the lens in my hand yet.

Rick

the MP-E 65mm with the MT-24EX works decently for handheld shooting, with some patience and appropriate selection of subject

Thank you very much for trying this Neuro. I'll be considering this lens in the future. I always see people taking close ups of insects with this lens, and I assumed they were doing it handheld. I'm more than willing to set up a tripod and focus rails, however for a lot of subjects I'm interested in shooting close up, a tripod isn't very practical. For now I've been pretty happy with the 100mm f/2.8L IS. I haven't had the flash for that long, I think I want to get more experience with what I have now before I spend more money on macro.

As for my 24mm dilemma, I believe I'll be adding the TS-E to my kit. I decided my priority is landscapes, and I will love the creative potential this lens has. Plus with the rebate, now is a good time to buy the lens. I'll be selling the 17-40mm f/4L since there isn't a good reason for it to exist in my kit (really wasn't much reason before either... guess I just held onto it for nostalgia). I'll have to invest in some 82mm filters, but they'll be well worth it, since now the filters will work for two lenses.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions, they were very helpful!
    - Trowski

I use the 24 mm TSE for my landscapes, and absolutely love it. It's crack cocaine for photographers. For filters, I have an 82 mm polarizer so I can't tell you if the 77 mm would work without vignetting. However what I use most often is a 4x6 graduated ND filter, on a Lee filter mount. I have a few of them:both a2 and 3 stop soft edge, and a 2 stop hard edge. Plus a 5 stop solid ND which I can use in combination. I can't imagine doing landscapes without them. Happy shopping!

I just ordered an 82mm polarizer and an 82mm 4 stop ND filter.

I
    - Trowski

Quote Originally Posted by Trowski
    an 82mm 4 stop ND filter

What brand and where, if you don't mind my asking? I am looking for something as dark as possible, best I've been able to find is the Singh-Ray 5-stop, and I'm reluctant to pay for their marketing hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Trowski
    What brand filter mount and what type and brand of filters do you suggest?
    <div>Generally, I use B+W across the board. I have a standard F-Pro UV on the TS-E 24mm and an XS-Pro 82mm UV on the 16-35mm II. Will be getting at least the 82mm SlimK&auml;semannCPL before my trip.</div>