Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 85 1.2 L II First Impressions

Re: 85 1.2 L II First Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

I was pleasantly surprise at the AF. I read so much about how slow it is, but I think once you are use to it there isn't anything you couldn't shoot reliably with it.

If you're in poor focus-acquisition conditions and the lens goes hunting in the wrong direction, you're going to miss the shot unless you've got lightning reflexes to get a selected focus point onto a contrasty spot, possibly even releasing your focus trigger (whether it's half-press of shutter, AF-ON, or whatever you've rigged up) and re-pressing it.

I tried using it for a bicycling event last month. There was a zone of no return: depending on speed, once the bike/rider got close enough, focus couldn't keep up. Certainly not wedding conditions, except for the limo leaving, but close-ups during dancing could be disastrous without a "sports" lens.

Good points. I shouldn't speak with only 15 minutes experience. I haven't shot moving stuff in poor light yet. I think I'm just a bit giddy.

Great stuff Keith, indeed what a killer DOF! I was thinking my 50mm 1.4 had tiny DOF on FF, but this is even shallower! Enjoy your lens! [H]

Jan

If you're going that route, stay away from the forums and do not, I repeat do not rent the lens.
    I was seriously considering renting one for my next wedding! I guess this should have been warning enough:

"Roger’s take: Be warned: This lens is hugely addictive. Strong photographers have wept standing in line at the post office to return it. Please don’t let your tears fall on the return label’s bar code – it slows down return shipping when the scanner can’t read it."

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky

Great stuff Keith, indeed what a killer DOF! I was thinking my 50mm 1.4 had tiny DOF on FF, but this is even shallower! Enjoy your lens![img]/emoticons/emotion-11.gif[/img]

Jan

Thanks Jan!
    </div>

Yeah I guess it's higher compression of the 85mm. I don't know how much effect the 1/3 stop plays into it. I don't know but I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

I was seriously considering renting one for my next wedding! I guess this should have been warning enough:

"Roger&rsquo;s take: Be warned: This lens is hugely addictive. Strong photographers have wept standing in line at the post office to return it. Please don&rsquo;t let your tears fall on the return label&rsquo;s bar code &ndash; it slows down return shipping when the scanner can&rsquo;t read it."

Roger's Takes are always deal sealers for me. He has cost me thousands. I would definitely be sad returning this lens. My alternative to shoot this range with, the 70-200 2.8 IS, was never fun. I didn't get excited about the images and I definitely don't like the feel but the 85L just cradles in your hands and just feels natural and un-inhibiting. I'm going to give it a couple weeks and then probably throw the 70-200 to the auction block and maybe a year or so down the road pick up the 200/2.0.

Congrats, Keith! I don't doubt you'll enjoy the 85 for years to come.

Good stuff Keith. I would absolutely love that lens but I think if my camera bag gets any heavier I'll have to get a shoulder reconstruction (and plastic surgery to fix my head after my darling missus beats me over the melon with a 70-200mm f/4L IS[:'(] ).

Also, my wallet gets exponentially lighter as my camera bag gets heavier [:S]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor

Good stuff Keith. I would absolutely love that lens but I think if my camera bag gets any heavier I'll have to get a shoulder reconstruction (and plastic surgery to fix my head after my darling missus beats me over the melon with a 70-200mm f/4L IS[:'(] ).

Also, my wallet gets exponentially lighter as my camera bag gets heavier [img]/emoticons/emotion-7.gif[/img]

Thanks!

Ah, the benefits of being single and stupid. No open to hit me with stuff when I make insane purchases. I just couldn't pass up the rebate and the no interest no payments for 2 years.

Ah, the benefits of being single and stupid. No open to hit me with stuff when I make insane purchases. I just couldn't pass up the rebate and the no interest no payments for 2 years.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I wish I'd gotten into photography when I was single (Instead, I bought stereo equipment and guns) but I've been with my wife over ten years and would probably be dying to upgrade all of those old lenses anyway. []
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Thanks!

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

It's the no-interest stuff that can be my downfall. I've learned that Ritz/Wolf Camera tends to be overpriced, except for the newly-released stuff. I bought my first Canon camera through them on a ten-month plan, then went back for a P&amp;S and 16-35 lens (had to buy $300 of camera to qualify the rest of the purchase.

In an odd way, I'm glad Ritz/Wolf is/was temporarily unable to sell Canon gear (bankruptcy issues), as it kept me from buying a 1D4 too quickly. As a result (and with big financial commitments this year), I found the 7D, and now have two of them.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

It's the no-interest stuff that can be my downfall.

Yeah, it's dangerous. That's why fund my gear purchases with cash. I wasn't kidding about the $100s - when it starts getting uncomfortable to sit down due to the thickness of my wallet, I know it's time to get more gear. []