Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Action shot help

Quote Originally Posted by ahab1372 View Post
    One thing that I learned here is that you also want to turn on all AF points ( at least on cameras that only have a few)

Arnt
    Thanks. I'll give it a try. I had it set to center point focus. If anyone else has some nice action shots to share, I'd love to see them along with the details behind your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Mpieris View Post
    If anyone else has some nice action shots to share, I'd love to see them along with the details behind your setup.
    Tracking small dogs with a 5DII is going to be very difficult.

Here's an action sequence from this past football season. This is pretty much straight out of the camera. The horizon was partially adjusted on a few of them. There's a couple of shots where I cut off part of the players helmet, but I left them in there so that you could see the whole sequence. I only cropped a few of them so far, noted by Version 2 or Version 3. Normally, I would crop tighter on the others.

Just hit the next button on flickr to see the full sequence.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5302243...6908/lightbox/

Keep in mind that the 5DII has the older AF system and is not as good as the newer 5DIII, MKIV or 7D.

I think the best setting for the 5DII would be single center AF point. The automatic multiple AF points will usually focus on the ground or whatever is closest to the camera.

For your 5DII you can also try Center Point with expansion points. Custom Function: C.Fn III-7 Pg.199 of 5D II manual. I don't have a 5DII so I looked up the page online. I have a 7D and MKIV.

For those that have a 7D, the 7D has zone AF which is better than total Full Automatic AF point selection by the camera. If you select the upper middle zone, then there is less chance of the Zone AF, focusing on the ground, and if you kneel down for the dogs then there is also less chance of it catching the ground.

Another option for people that have the 7D would be to Select AF expansion points around the center point, which is a custom function that has to be "enabled" by going to C.Fn III-6 and enabling the last choice in the first row. Pg. 212 of the 7D Manual. Then when you scroll through your AF point selections, it should show up as a center square surrounded by 4 smaller squares.

Another helpful point for tracking action shots is to separate your AF button and your shutter button. Once you get the hang of it, it is easier to fully press down and hold in the AF-On button in the back of the camera and have continuous tracking, and then you can just press the shutter button for taking the photo.

IMHO, it's harder to hold the shutter button half-way down for tracking, then it is to hold the AF-ON button all the way in for tracking.

AV, TV or Manual Mode, AI Servo High Speed Continuous shooting, Center Point AF with or without expansion points, Back button AF-On tracking.

Rich

Last edited by Richard Lane; 07-08-2012 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane View Post

Tracking small dogs with a 5DII is going to be very difficult.

Here's an action sequence from this past football season. This is pretty much straight out of the camera. The horizon was partially adjusted on a few of them. There's a couple of shots where I cut off part of the players helmet, but I left them in there so that you could see the whole sequence. I only cropped a few of them so far, noted by Version 2 or Version 3. Normally, I would crop tighter on the others.

Just hit the next button on flickr to see the full sequence.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5302243...6908/lightbox/

Keep in mind that the 5DII has the older AF system and is not as good as the newer 5DIII, MKIV or 7D.

I think the best setting for the 5DII would be single center AF point. The automatic multiple AF points will usually focus on the ground or whatever is closest to the camera.

For your 5DII you can also try Center Point with expansion points. Custom Function: C.Fn III-7 Pg.199 of 5D II manual. I don't have a 5DII so I looked up the page online. I have a 7D and MKIV.

For those that have a 7D, the 7D has zone AF which is better than total Full Automatic AF point selection by the camera. If you select the upper middle zone, then there is less chance of the Zone AF, focusing on the ground, and if you kneel down for the dogs then there is also less chance of it catching the ground.

Another option for people that have the 7D would be to Select AF expansion points around the center point, which is a custom function that has to be "enabled" by going to C.Fn III-6 and enabling the last choice in the first row. Pg. 212 of the 7D Manual. Then when you scroll through your AF point selections, it should show up as a center square surrounded by 4 smaller squares.

Another helpful point for tracking action shots is to separate your AF button and your shutter button. Once you get the hang of it, it is easier to fully press down and hold in the AF-On button in the back of the camera and have continuous tracking, and then you can just press the shutter button for taking the photo.

IMHO, it's harder to hold the shutter button half-way down for tracking, then it is to hold the AF-ON button all the way in for tracking.

AV, TV or Manual Mode, AI Servo High Speed Continuous shooting, Center Point AF with or without expansion points, Back button AF-On tracking.

Rich

Rich, thanks once again for your generous feedback. I tried the expansion point setting with the center point focus. I also used the back button auto focus. I also changed the IS mode from 1 to 2 on the 70-200 for the panning IS. I think it's getting better, especially from my first attempt. Here's one of the pics from today's shoot.

Casey Sprinters by MAzing Pictures, on Flickr

Marlon

Quote Originally Posted by Mpieris View Post
    Rich, thanks once again for your generous feedback.
    Marlon,

I'm glad I could help, that shot looks great! Apparently, you're really a quick learner. Your progress is quite astounding!

That looks like a really cute gray card you've captured there!

Keep up the good work,
    Rich